Thursday, May 15, 2008

Zucchini Potato Fritters

Fresh from the farm yesterday, my share included zucchini, potatoes, and onions which made me think of fritters. I’ve made potato latkes a million times, but I’d never tried any sort of vegetable combo. I think I once saw Sara Moulton making zucchini potato fritters, and I mentally filed that away for future use. Remember Cooking Live and the occasional market basket cook along? It was fun to watch her get flustered trying desperately to fill so many Food Network hours, but at least she can cook. I learned from her and have made several of her dishes. And, on one occasion, I think she made something like these fritters. It couldn’t be easier, but it is necessary to work quickly. The excess liquid needs to be squeezed out of the grated zucchini and potato, and the rest of the ingredients need to be mixed in before the potato sugars start oxidizing and changing color. I used eight ball zucchini, a baby yellow squash, a couple of small white potatoes, a red potato, some red onion, and an egg to bind. I also tossed in a little chopped parsley and garlic chives and fried them until crisp in canola oil. You really can’t go wrong with a fritter. These fresh, crunchy wonders were served with a small dollop of sour cream on top of each.


3 comments:

  1. These look awesome. So you only need an egg to bind? No breadcrumbs or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have mentioned that usually some flour is added to help bind. I left it out this time just to keep the fritters lighter and more about the veggies. It will stick together so long as the liquid has been squeezed out of the grated veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if ever the truth be told - you really can't go wrong with a fritter...

    agreed wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips