Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cherry Sundae


After reading the June issue of Bon Appetit, I was inspired to create something with fresh cherries. The cherry-cornmeal upside down cake recipe suggested cooking the cherries with some balsamic vinegar, and I stole that idea for a simple ice cream topping. I used about a cup and a half of fresh cherries which I pitted. I purchased the new Oxo cherry pitter with the splatter shield, and it worked like a dream. The pitted cherries went into a saucepan with a splash of water, about a tablespoon of honey, and two teaspoons of balsamic vinegar. This all simmered away for about 15 minutes or so, and then I let it cool to room temperature before pouring over vanilla ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. i just read down about 6 posts and i am totally wow'ed...

    really beautiful food, writing and pics

    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your tweet. So easy, have to make it right away : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of adding balsamic vinegar in cherry topping. I had some sour cherries left after making cherry rice and I mixed them with a bit of sugar. How do balsamic cherries taste?

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips