Monday, June 16, 2008

Stuffed Squash Blossoms and Fritto Misto di Verdura

One of my exciting finds at the farmers’ market was squash blossoms. I did my best to copy the delicious version I enjoyed at Sassi.

I drained the ricotta in a sieve while chopping the other ingredients. To 15 oz. of ricotta, I added one minced garlic clove, 1 T rinsed and drained capers, 1 finely diced cubanelle, 2 T shredded parmigiana reggiano, and salt and pepper. This mixture was ever so carefully stuffed into 15 or so squash blossoms. The blossoms held together much better than I expected. Pulling the petals back and spooning in the filling, then squeezing it evenly to distribute while placing the petals back where they belong, all went well. Once filled, they were dipped into batter and fried for about three minutes. I used the following recipe for a tempura batter:

1 large egg yolk
1 c ice water
1 c ap flour
2 T cornstarch

-in a medium bowl set into an ice water bath, whisk yolk with ice water; add flour and cornstarch and whisk to combine; a few remaining lumps in the batter are fine

Since I was set up to fry, and there was plenty of batter, I reached for some asparagus and orange bell pepper strips as well. They were dipped into the batter, the excess was allowed to drip away, then dunked in the hot oil for two to three minutes, rescued to paper towels to drain, and sprinkled with course sea salt.

As we munched on the fried goodness, Kurt said “mmffghoodvegtblz mmmhhhgg.” He was chewing at the time, but I believe what he was trying to convey was that this is a superb way to eat vegetables. The squash blossoms were almost as delicous as those at Sassi, and the only change I might make next time would be to leave out the parmigiana. I think a simpler flavor combination would be nice. The amount of garlic and capers was just right. Barely perceptible garlic, and just a caper or two per blossom. The asparagus and pepper strips were fantastic, but what's not to like?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips