Thursday, January 8, 2009

Braised Carrots with Carrot-top Sauce

Happy in the Kitchen by Michel Richard has been a delight to read and to explore. The gorgeous, exciting food is fun to read about, and it’s interesting to learn the techniques that made it all possible. Richard’s approach to food is to consider variations beyond classic preparations. With each ingredient, he explores what new and different things it can do or become. For him there is always something to discover, and that’s what inspires him as a chef. The most interesting thing about this book is that despite the jaw-dropping look of the food, the preparations are all pretty simple. That was his intent: to present these new and different ideas that are not difficult to make.

So, with some incredibly fresh and beautiful red carrots from Hands of the Earth Farm, I set about creating Richard’s braised carrots with carrot-top sauce. I know, it’s a plate of carrots. But, wait. It’s a plate of perfectly tender, braised carrots with a mind-blowingly delicious sauce and a simply dressed salad. This is a must-try dish for the carrot-top sauce alone. The preparation began with chopped onion sauteed with butter. Then coriander, orange juice, and salt were added along with the carrots. That combination simmered for a few minutes. Chicken broth was to be added but I had none and used water instead. Water worked fine. After adding the water, the simmering continued for another 15 minutes. Meanwhile, the leaves were removed from the carrot stems, and then they were blanched, shocked, and squeezed dry. When the carrots reached a state of desired doneness, the remaining sauce was added to the blanched carrot leaves. Those were pureed with additional butter. Seasoning was adjusted. A quick salad was to be made of mache, but I used chopped baby spinach and arugula instead. The chopped spinach and arugula were tossed with red wine vinegar and olive oil.

The bunch of carrots scene was achieved with the leaf-like salad situated at the top of the plate with the whole carrots below which were sprinkled with dried orange zest. The sauce was spooned alongside the carrots. One minor concern was that my sauce wasn’t quite as bright green as that in the book, but it was so good I didn’t worry about the color for long. I served this as a shared first course, so all the carrots were positioned together on one plate.


The carrots’ orange juice-braised sweetness was balanced by the acidity of the vinaigretted salad. The butter-rich sauce with the savory onion and bright carrot leaf flavors was an unbelievably nice component. After seeing this dish in the book, I knew there would be visual appeal, but I had no idea how flavorful it would be. As soon as we tried it, the cuteness and wit of the dish became completely secondary to taste and textures and just plain deliciousness. It was intriguing enough to try and so enjoyable it’ll definitely be made again. Every item presented in the book looks like a similar win-win situation, and I’ll be trying more of them soon.


14 comments:

  1. wow these look tasty - how did they end up on tastespotting BEFORE you posted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think the feed was just slow today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how gorgeous are those carrots!? what lovely color!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. red carrots? i've never heard of such a thing! is the beta-carotene level less in these? just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. About chicken stock, I have had good luck with Better Than Bullion when I'm out of the good homemade stuff. It's a jarred paste, looks...well, like nothing you'd ever dream of using, but it's recommended by Cook's Illustrated (posted at The Kitchn in the past couple days, too). Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace-- Good question. I just searched a bit for info on beta carotene in red carrots, and here's what I found:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15116084?dopt=Abstract

    Turns out, red carrots have both beta carotene and lycopene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful carrots. I'm going to put this book on my wish list. I haven't heard of it before but it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty are those red and orange carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos and that just sounds so delicious:-) I think carrot tops are an underused herb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good and those are some amazing looking carrots too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen such beautiful carrots b4! The ones sold here are the standard orange carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't Happy in the Kitchen a spectacular book? He blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrot top sauce, wow, I need to read more cook books, lol, I saw a Gorden Ramsey 'Kitchen Nightmares' and had one of my own...he had to turn a chef around who was still making the same stuff after 15 years, I am not that bad, but can see how we get into ruts, so Viva La Cookbooks for inspiration...

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips