Thursday, January 22, 2009

Shredded Root Vegetable Pancakes

Clearly December was a good month for food magazines, because I’ve been cooking all kinds of things from them. From Eating Well, I made the roasted fall vegetables in a cheddar crust and quite enjoyed it for dinner one night. Unfortunately, Kurt was less than thrilled with the meal, found it a bit dry, and asked what I’d done with the steak he would have preferred. I would have overruled his opinion and posted the roasted vegetable tart if only I had continued to like it the next day. When I re-heated a piece for lunch, I had to admit, he might be right. It was a little dry and failed to impress. However, the storm of vegetables didn’t stop there. I also made the shredded root vegetable pancakes from Eating Well, and these received high marks all around. I made the pancakes with red and yellow beets, and for those who believe beets are not to their liking, I implore you to try them this way.

It’s pretty much a latke only made with your choice of root vegetables instead of potatoes. The interesting thing about shredding beets is that there is much less liquid than there is when shredding potatoes. They don’t have to be drained or squeezed or anything. The mixture included horseradish which is absolutely perfect with beets. I skipped the bacon, but that would add some savory appeal if you’re so inclined. I didn’t even top these with sour cream; they just received pinches of chopped dill and sea salt. I haven’t checked the records yet, but I believe this was the shortest amount of time in which five medium beets have ever been consumed. The crunchiness and earthy, sweet flavors punched up by the horseradish and dill got a thumbs-up from Kurt, and he didn't even lament the lack of meat.


16 comments:

  1. I love vegetable pancakes of all kinds. I have never made beet pancakes - they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm. this looks lovely. i made something like this with potato and beet a few months ago. i've never met a beet i didn't like :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. His comment about "where's my steak?" cracks me up, probably because I live with a man who makes similar comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This idea is great! I would probably try slightly different root vegetables, but it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo how unique! I haven't seen red pancakes b4 made with vegetables... great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how novel and pretty and completely spectacular! never in my life would i have considered creating pancakes with beets. amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh the color is gorgeous. We love to make these with zucchini! Not as pretty in color as yours though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are gorgeous, I love root veggies, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, beetroot is my favorite, seriously, I can eat this vibrant color root in any form. I never even think of turning it into pancake. Sounds so delicious. Thanks for the idea.
    Cheers,
    Elra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a beet lover and I will try these for sure!
    Love them! wish i had them for Hanukkah instead of the usual potato latkes, I would've stumped them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea!!!!
    Love beets: were your hands completely red?

    My dad makes latkes with zucchini: it's really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oy! Why do men have to be so difficult? Whenever I serve up a vegetarian meal its met by "where's the meat?" moans and groans.

    Oh well, have to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...I have made carrot and other root veggie cakes like this, but not thought about beets...another veggie I have to add to my diet...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a pantry full of applesauce that's just crying out for these. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to try these. I'm getting tired of root vegetable soup.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips