Thursday, February 19, 2009

Minneola Tangelo-Buttermilk Scones

It’s great to see so many magazine articles authored by food bloggers these days. In the February issue of Living, Clotilde Dusoulier wrote about crepes, and Deb Perelman wrote about cupcakes. There have been several instances of articles by bloggers in other magazines too, and it’s a nice acknowledgement of the popularity of food blogs. In Living’s January issue, Clotilde wrote about citrus, and that’s where I saw these delicious-looking, tangelo scones. Kurt is a fan of scones since forever, and thus, these were destined to be a treat for our Valentine’s Day breakfast.

I had never made scones with buttermilk, or minneola tangelos for that matter, so I was intrigued. This recipe makes a lot of scones, and had I been thinking more clearly, I would have cut it in half. Although, having some of these in the freezer isn’t such a bad thing. For the full recipe, six tangelos were peeled, segmented, seeded, and chopped, and one was zested. The dough was mixed in a large mixing bowl and then turned out onto a floured surface and patted into a rectangle as usual for scones. I made a lame attempt at cuteness by trying to cut out heart shapes. This wasn’t the scone for cute hearts. The tangelo chunks squirted and were squashed in the sticky dough by the cutter, and the resulting heart shape was less than precise. I abandoned that quickly and cut the rest in triangles.

There is a lot of liquid in the dough from the chopped tangelos and the buttermilk, and the cut scones need to be chilled for at least a couple of hours before baking. I brushed the tops with an egg wash since I didn’t have any cream and then sprinkled on turbinado sugar. Just to make them extra fancy for my Valentine, I squiggled on a confectioner’s sugar glaze before serving. The juicy bits of tangelo were lovely in the scones, and the buttermilk balanced the sweetness. I’m guessing these scones will make repeat appearances in my kitchen each time tangelos are in season.


22 comments:

  1. Scrumptious scones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look totally buttery and flakey. Just how a scone should be in our opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so light and flakey! I guess the buttermilk is the key.

    Definitely going to put this on the list of things to make - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scones, the perfect breakfast treat! I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great looking scones - I will take three -please. oh and the noodle for my soup was something called 'noodle' from chinatown, I picked it because of its size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting...scones with tangelo. I am a big fan of scones with jam and clotted cream! These scones must be really moist with the tangelo and buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like what you find at a bakery! They really look professional. Wonderful use of citrus fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scones, but I confess that I never made a good scone. Yours looks moist and flaky, I´ll must try your recipe soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the name tangelo scones...oh oh oh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dont you just love a good scone!?! I just made pumpkin scones on my blog, and they were heavenly. Yours look delightful as well - I cant wait to try the recipe! Thanks! Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, scones. I've never made scones without buttermilk, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. after reading this, i may have to rethink my anti-scone status. they look phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They certainly do look yummy. I think a bout of baking is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, these scones look amazing. I have never tasted or even seen a Tangelo before. But, what an interesting scone recipe. I would like to try with just plain old oranges too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your scones look incredible! never tried a tangelo, youve made me curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound so good! I love scones. I have a recipe for whole wheat buttermilk scones, and I have the same (wet) problem. I find leaving the dough in the refrigerator overnight is very helpful. Then I roll them with plastic wrap to keep them from sticking too much. I bet these would be good with Clementine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound wonderful! Love the idea of chunks of citrus. Mmmm:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos of the scones are so much better than Martha's. I don't even like scones but these look sooo delicious I want to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someone told me once that when it looks this good they want to lick the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh YUM! I've used tangelo zest in scones before (so so so delicious! the taste seems to confound people), but never the actual fruit. Sounds really interesting - I've got to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just bought some tangellos and have some buttermilk sitting in the fridge. I guess I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips