Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tamari Shrimp and Scallops

I returned to Michel Nischan’s book, Taste Pure and Simple, for a light and delicious shellfish meal. This time, I didn’t have to beg any favors to procure all the ingredients. In fact, there are only five ingredients in the recipe if you exclude the garnish. It is a very straightforward dish in which the flavors of the shrimp and scallops are simply accented by tamari and black pepper.

The presentation is as important here as the ingredients. A sea scallop was to be snuggled into the curve of each shrimp and secured with a pick. I bought U16 gulf shrimp, but the gigantic sea scallops available that day would never have fit in them. I used bay scallops instead, and they fit nicely. Once assembled, I placed them back in the refrigerator while the sauce was prepared. Rather than using tamari sauce straight from the bottle, it was reduced in a double-boiler for about 40 minutes. It was to reduce by half and thicken. During this time, a thin crust or slight film formed on top of the sauce. Nischan explains that this is a salt crust and should be left behind when the reduced sauce is poured from the bowl. He suggests that removing this crust reduces the saltiness of the tamari, but I found it didn’t change the flavor much.

The prepared shrimp and scallops were seasoned only with black pepper and then brushed with the reduced tamari sauce. They were quickly seared on each side in a skillet heated with a small bit of canola oil. To serve, some of the sauce was spooned onto each plate, and the shellfish was placed on top. This couldn’t have been simpler. In the book, it’s suggested as a first course, but I served it as a main course with stir fried vegetables on the side. The vegetables found their way into the meandering sauce on the plate, and all the flavors of the meal worked together very well. Each piece is very pretty with the shrimp curling around the scallop, and they would also make nice hors d’oeuvres for a party.


15 comments:

  1. wow these look so good I dont know how you didnt pop them all in your mouth as you were cooking and then served everyone something else....

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. those shrimp look gorgeous! i like the idea of reducing the tamari sauce, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are awesome - I love the shrimp one. Tamari is a sauce I love to use, but seldom think to use it as a key ingredient - no more - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a simple and great looking meal! You gave me an idea of how to use tamari sauce. I have so much leftover, couldn't think about how to use it. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teeney tiny scallops are so perfectly nestled in there. This is a one bite snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. You're all too kind!

    I just wanted to clarify that the shrimp were large, I just didn't use sea scallops because they were really, really large that day. This was probably at least a two-bite item, possibly three.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look wonderful! Shrimp with a bonus. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shrimp curled around the scallop! Fabulous dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - they look so amazing - what a fabulous dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shrimp and scallops are both my favorites, yours (with the nice shots) is wonderful and making me drool already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I love shrimp and scallops. I haven't actually had them together, I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two for the price of one! What a treat to get both shrimp and scallop together in one luscious bite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is 100% my idea of a delicious snack. and as always your photos are to die for

    ReplyDelete
  14. those shrimps look amazing. I wish I could eat them straight away from the screen!! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking is what comes to my mind...I also bought the biggest or should I use the word colossal shrimp for that Paella, but the cherrystone clams were lacking...

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips