Friday, September 4, 2009

Chocolate Dipped Pecan Brittle with Green Chile Salt

Ok, I have one last item from the Austin food blogger hatch chile potluck to share. The bread was an experiment so I also made risotto balls, and just for the fun of it, I wanted to take something sweet as well. Several weeks ago, I sampled some chocolate dipped peanut brittle at Big Top Candy Shop on south Congress in Austin, and as soon as I tasted it I knew I had to try to recreate it. I used pecans instead of peanuts to give the confection a little local flair. Despite the fact that this was a hatch chile potluck, I didn’t think the chiles would actually improve the flavor of this dish, but I wanted to stick with the theme in some way. When I found green chile salt, I imagined that might work as a finishing touch on the chocolate.

The basic brittle recipe I use is one from a 1996 issue of Living magazine. I’ve made it many times with peanuts, with a mix of nuts, and with pecans. It’s very easy to prepare, but a candy thermometer is needed, and you need to take some precautions while working with the molten liquid candy. You’ll want to prepare your baking sheets and have all the ingredients prepped and at hand before you begin to cook the brittle. Then, just stir, watch the thermometer, and add ingredients at the appropriate times. I let the brittle sit overnight and then broke it into pieces the next day. I dipped the pieces into melted milk chocolate and placed them on parchment-lined baking sheets. Before the chocolate set, I sprinkled a few grains of green chile salt on each piece.

I happen to be a big fan of nut brittles and toffees of all kinds, and I make these candies every year during the holidays. In the past, pecan toffee topped with milk chocolate was always my favorite. It’s slightly softer in texture than brittle, and I have a guarded recipe with a secret ingredient or two. I never would have thought it could slip from the number one spot of homemade candies in my mind, but this salted chocolate dipped pecan brittle was a surprisingly serious contender. Kurt isn’t even as into homemade candies as I am, and he was wowed by this one. When he first tasted it, he claimed the salt really worked well and quickly reached for a second, then third piece.




32 comments:

  1. They look amazing! green chile salt sounds like an interesting addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow Lisa, the candy looks super....just super....

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is intense! Such a really nice combination. Green chile salt??? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my favorite hatch chile recipe for sure. yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. ach! that's amazing! brittle = scrumptious. pecan brittle = spectacular. chocolate-dipped pecan brittle = knee-weakeningly delicious. chocolate-dipped pecan brittle adorned with chile salt = so magnificent mere words can't do it justice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must agree with all comments- these look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds and looks terrific! I'm drooling...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Spicy, salty, sweet, they sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was lucky enough to taste these and, yes they were all that and more. plus, we swiped a few from the party...um, by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got everything going on in here, but more so the chocolate!!! I love it. I think I've asked you this before, but do you ship? 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea, everything you brought to the potluck sounds spectacular. I can only imagine how good it was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, chile salt added to chocolate pecan brittle! That's excellent! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Words do not exist to describe what I think you have just posted. Letters will have to do: mmmmmmmmmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH! This sounds absolutely delicious. The crucnhyness and the saltyness and the sweetness and then chocolate. What I'd do to get a small chunk :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. these look so wonderful - i think you need to sell them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh. My. Goodness. This is spectacular! I'll echo everyone's assessment that you could make a nice mint from selling these. If you ever need some taste testers for quality control, I gladly volunteer!

    Many thanks for the basic brittle link!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so definitely bookmarking this. where did you get your green chile salt?
    my high school friends and I always get together for holiday cookie baking at christmas, but in recent years we've gotten a bit more creative - this will be a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought the green chile salt at our local Central Market. It was with all the other bulk, flavored salts, so I'm guessing it's a product that could be found elsewhere. Hope you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fabulous is this? Love the green chile salt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, this sounds awesome! I love all the new trendy salts out there.

    So -- the green chile salt... does it bring the brightness of a jalapeno, along with a bit of saltiness? I'd imagine that would be awesome with chocolate. And I'm scheming on how to get me some of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, these sound so good. I would love to try it.
    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, these sound fantastic. I think I could not stop eating them!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks sooooo GOOD! I am left speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lisa, this looks and sounds fantastic. Would you believe that in my entire culinary career, I have never made brittle? I am inpired by your wonderful post to give it a go. And how timely with the holiday season just ahead. This will be a big treat for everyone at Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing! ...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE this! It looks SO good Lisa, I'm a huge brittle fan too and will have to try covering it in chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This look sSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. Chocolate & salt is a magical combination, as is chocolate & chilli, so I can only imagine that these babies are delish!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow!! vat a splendid idea!! m droooling!! yummmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, Lisa, fab-u-lous! I want! These are perfect and I so love these chocolate-covered treats! Do you ship? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fantabulous! Green chilli salt is so unique.. might have been tasting like the spiced chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You can get the green chili salt from this company. They sell it at Whole Foods in San Antonio. It is amazing!!!! The Lamar store is going to carry it too. Hope this helps!
    Alamo City Pepper Products in San Antonio.
    http://alamocitypepperproducts.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips