Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cabbage and Mushroom Galette with Horseradish Sauce

I had a big, lovely head of green cabbage from my CSA, and I wanted to use it for something other than slaw. At first, I considered this Hungarian cabbage strudel, and I still may try that eventually. But, then I saw the recipe for cabbage and mushroom galette in Vegetarian Cooking for Everone, and that was how this cabbage was meant to be used. This savory galette is made with a yeasted tart dough, filled with sauteed cabbage and mushrooms, and given a little kick with the horseradish sour cream sauce. I have to tell you about the dough first. It’s a lot like a pizza dough except that an egg is added. The dough was mixed and left to rise for about an hour, and that one, little egg made the dough very tender. It was less elastic than pizza dough when being shaped, and it was flakier than pizza crust once baked. This was a tart dough I’ll definitely use again.

For the filling, minced onion and sliced shitakes were sauteed in butter with thyme and dill. Then, the sliced cabbage was added with a little water, and the saute pan was covered while the cabbage cooked for about 15 minutes. The cover was removed, and the heat was raised to evaporate remaining moisture from the pan. Last, parsley, a chopped hard-boiled egg, and some sour cream were stirred into the vegetables. At this point, I transferred this mixture to a bowl and left it in the refrigerator for a few hours. I had also rolled out the dough into an oblong, rectangular-ish shape, placed it on a baking sheet, covered it with a kitchen towel, and placed that in the refrigerator as well. At dinner time, I assembled the tart while the oven warmed. The filling was placed on the tart dough leaving a border of a few inches. The border was folded up and over the filling and was brushed with melted butter. For a savory tart, I like to spinkle the top edges with sea salt. The tart baked for about 30 minutes while I made the horseradish sauce.

The recipe in the book suggests peeling and chopping fresh horseradish root and then partially pureeing it in a food processor with water. Then, it was to be drained and combined with the other ingredients in the sauce. I took a lazier approach and simply peeled the horseradish and grated it on a microplane into a bowl of sour cream. Then, I added chopped chives, salt and pepper, and white wine vinegar. You could also just use prepared horseradish and skip the added vinegar in the sauce, but I do like the bite of just-grated, fresh horseradish. The sauce was perfect with the cabbage and mushroom filling, and this hearty galette was perfect for fall.





34 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! It looks like a pizza dough from the first glance! The hourseradish sauce sounds a great compliment to the whole dish. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A scrumptious galette! A perfect fall/winter recipe!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I really liking that horseradish sauce. Lately, I've been having a horseradish craving. Mushrooms yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never had this before...you are really good at making simple things delightful, delicious and deadly enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum, now I wish I had not made a cabbage rolls with my CSA supply - this recipe seems so much more exciting - wait there's always next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look a bit like a pizza although you can already tell by looking at the photo that the consistency is a bit different. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yummy! The horseradish sauce sounds like an awesome addition to this already awesome dish! niiiice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sounds so scrumptious and irresistible with the addition of horseradish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What unique ingredients for a galette! And how delicious it looks - especially with the horseradish sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must. Make. Ohhhhhhhh my goodness! I've been ogling the beautiful (and cheap!) cabbage at the farmer's market but like you I get bored with slaw. This is on my list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love, LOVE it! Wow...a rustic galette...with savory fillings! And one of my fave vegetables, cabbage! OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Lisa. Just gorgeous. We are on the same wavelength - I'm making a cabbage galette for dinner tomorrow. Yours looks more interesting than mine will be. Gotta love Deborah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bite of fresh horseradish, although I remember the first time I grated a big wad of it in my processor. I took a sniff and nearly passed out! Talk about a sinus clearer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great and delicious!! Healthy too with all those cabbage inside. Cabbage has great anti-oxident values!

    ReplyDelete
  16. who says galettes have to be dessert all the time? i, for one, would definitely enjoy a meal of savory galette followed by sweet galette. this is clever and looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice recipe, Lisa! I love savory tarts-and your mixture of cabbage, shiitake, onion and herbs sounds divine.
    (Think I'll use store-bought horseradish though.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds better than a pizza! I love the mixture of your recipe. Have a great day.
    Mamatkamal

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a cabbage nut. This looks tasty Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, that galette sounds so good with cabbage & mushrooms, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! This gets a super high rating on my *Yum Factor* scale. Hubby almost lives for cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks delicious. Thanks for the thoughtful description of the dough consistency after baking, really helps imagine being there! Oh, and nice touch with the sea salt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh nice, very nice. I love all sorts of cabbage pies and this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delicious! For some reason this reminds me of Russian pierogis (in the best way possible). And I bet that horseradish sauce can go on so many different things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great recipe! I love it! I think old peasant things like cabbage and mushrooms turned into something so wonderful and yummy is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Darn girl I love this, love my cabbage! You have gone and made something that I just might Indianize it a step further, so I am stealing this for my own tasty desires...

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great way to feature cabbage, your galette looks fantastic and my hubby would go crazy over that horseradish sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I hear galette, my first thought is of fruit but this cabbage and mushroom version is tremendous! The horseradish sauce sounds like the perfect condiment for this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your galette looks wonderful. I would have never thought of cabbage, mushrooms and horseradish in a galette, but the one you made here is amazing. Thanks for commenting on the blue cornmeal biscotti-I would have never known that it showed up in Saveur.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That really looks supremely delicious. I can never get enough cabbage or mushrooms, but you don't often enough see them together!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The filling sounds so Asian, like in an egg roll. Love the horseradish sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This sounds fantastic!! It makes me think of my mother's cabbage bread, which is a favorite comfort food for me, but upscaled and improved.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow Lisa. I have just discovere your blog an you have so many recipes that appeal to the vegetable eater in me. What a great way with cabbage - a galette, who'd have thought it. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips