Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Michael Natkin, What Are You Reading?

Michael Natkin is a graphics software engineer by day and an incredible cook the rest of the time. When he’s not busy preparing fresh and fabulous vegetarian meals, he’s probably reading about food. He was recently nominated for a Saveur Magazine First Annual Best Food Blog Award in the special interest category, and he writes a bi-weekly column for Serious Eats called Seriously Meatless. He always presents beautiful food on his blog with incredible photographs (did you happen to see his SuperFrico Grilled Cheese Sandwich?) and includes informative tips and techniques as well. I asked Michael: what are you reading?

Michael:
1. Climbing the Mango Trees
- A Memoir of a Childhood In India by Madhur Jaffrey - Jaffrey's World of The East Vegetarian Cookbook was one of my first, 20+ years ago and still useful today; her autobiography gives an amazing glimpse into the world and food of an upper class Indian family around the time of Partition.







2. Best Food Writing 2009 - edited by Holly Hughes - I read this annual compendium every year; it is one of the best ways to get an overview of all the great things happening in the culinary world, and the writing is often terrific.








3. Bakewise - by Shirley O. Corriher - Corriher does a good, popular job of explaining baking science and applying it with recipes that have been turning out mostly great for me.







Thank you for participating, Michael! Check back to see who answers the question next time and what other books are recommended.

Previous WAYR posts:
Jaden Hair
Michael Ruhlman
Monica Bhide




9 comments:

  1. Interesting person, I will check out his blog now. Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Jaffrey's cookbooks and use her Indian Cooking book at least twice a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see what other people are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look really great! I would especially like to take a peek at the Best Food Writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Madhur Jaffrey's memoir. It's so sweet and poignant. Definitely a must-read for any foodie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great list of books to add to my nightstand and savor - thanks for this wonderful series of posts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this feature! Madhur Jaffrey's book is on my Amazon wish list and hopefully I'll get to it soon! I have the Best Food Writing book and I can attest that it's a good read. It's almost like a book full of short vignettes so it's fun to just pick up every once in a while and flip to a random page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so interesting reading about what other people are reading! :D I love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like this new addition to your blog

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips