Monday, October 11, 2010

Kaiser Rolls

When I finally started baking from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, I didn’t have good luck with the first two breads I tried. Maybe I chose poorly and should have started with less fussy varieties, but the efforts weren’t completely wasted. I became more familiar with pre-ferments and how chilling them overnight before mixing them into a dough develops flavor. Flavor was definitely not a problem with those first two breads, but I decided to take a break from ciabatta and pugliese and attempt Kaiser rolls. I wanted to jump right in and order a Kaiser roll stamp to make the distinctive cuts in the tops of the rolls, but given my track record with this book, I decided to wait and see how the first batch went before buying a special tool. The stamp makes the pinwheel cuts with one press. There’s also an alternative suggested in the book which involves making a knotted kind of roll that looks similar. I decided to just make multiple cuts in a pinwheel pattern using a lame. The rolls turned out fine, so I’ll have to order the stamp for next time.

Once again, a pre-ferment, this time a pate-fermentee, was mixed and chilled in the refrigerator overnight. The pate-fermentee was brought up to room temperature and then mixed into a dough with flour, salt, barley malt syrup, yeast, an egg, vegetable oil, and water. The dough was kneaded and then fermented for two hours. It was divided into eight pieces which were left to relax for ten minutes before shaping each into a Kaiser roll with pinwheel cuts on top. Then, oddly enough, each roll was placed top side down on a semolina-dusted baking sheet. The pretty, swirly cuts were smashed. That just seemed wrong. After 45 minutes, the rolls were flipped cut side up, and I ended up re-cutting the swirls into most of them. They proofed for another 30 minutes while the oven warmed. Then, I had some questions. The rolls pictured in the book have glossy tops that I assumed could only be achieved with an egg wash. However, the instructions for pre-baking were to simply mist with water and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds. I proceeded with just water and sprinkled poppy seeds. That was question one. Question two was why was the oven spritzed with water after loading the rolls? Steam produces a crispy crust and these should have been tender and shiny rather than crisp. So, as suspected, water on the rolls and water spritzed in the oven resulted in crisp surfaced rolls that were perfectly fine and tasty but completely lacking gloss, and next time I will try an egg wash and no water sprayed in the oven.

It was a lot of fun to make Kaiser rolls at home for the first time, and they were delicious rolls. Sally, who is a great bread baker at Bewitching Kitchen, has told me that Reinhart’s later books include slightly different techniques with more consistent results. It will be interesting to bake from and compare the more recent books. Not that I’m giving up on this one. I’ve learned so much, it was almost like bread college in a book. I’ll definitely be trying more from it, but up next, I have to show you how I used these homemade Kaiser rolls.

I’m submitting this to Yeastspotting where you’ll find some seriously well-made bread.



26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Kaiser rolls! I bet they'd be great as burger buns.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to become brave enough to bake "real" bread of any kind. Your rolls are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look perfect Lisa, I never made Kaiser rolls, and very tempted after seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look beautiful, I am so impressed!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful! I have yet to master the art of bread making. I've got a couple of stanby recipes that work for me.

    At some point I'm going to try something a bit more daring...like these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done, Lisa!!! I'll take a couple of those for a sandwich please. hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, these look perfect and I can smell them through the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, your rolls look gorgeous! Wonderful job!

    I am blushing here, you are way too kind, I am still making a ton of boo-boos in bread baking, but learning a lot in the process, which is what matters, right? ;-)

    Baking bread is just a wonderful thing, and quite addictive....

    I look forward to your post about the part II of Kaiser rolls...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm starting to experiment with yeast breads more and I want to be able to make my own sandwich loaves on a regular basis. I've seen other people blog about this book. Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel: I would definitely recommend this book. It is incredibly informative, and the techniques produce bread with great flavor. Some breads are trickier than others, and I just had problems with the very wet dough breads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate when pictures in cookbooks don't match with what I'm cooking! I think that is the result of food stylists trying to make the pictures look better. Your kaiser rolls couldn't look any more perfect! I can see how delicious they are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just imagine the smells permeating from the kitchen and taste testing the first roll fresh from the oven slathered in butter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing beats homemade rolls. OK, you have to tell us now what you plan on sticking in between those lovely, thick halves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Despite how easy it looks, I've always thought baking bread is not my first love at all. I'm ridiculously chuffed beyond belief when it works out but I'm not a baker at heart. I do however have loads of admiration for you guys who work at this art and get it right. Great Kaiser rolls, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your homemade kaiser rolls look just perfect! excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. those rolls looks perfect! Bring out the burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Lisa these look just like the ones my mom buys are the bakery! Perfect! I gotta get back to baking out of that book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is weird about having them proof upside down - I've never heard of that!

    I make the Artisan bread in 5 minutes every week - nothing like throwing a loaf of bread in the oven for dinner - I found that if I go from fridge to oven, it just has to bake for 5 minutes longer.

    Great job - your rolls look great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The rolls look yummy- I think the handmade cuts lend authenticity.

    I've always followed a recipe's instructions (even the seemingly wacky ones) on my first attempt just to be sure that if the product is a bust that it wasn't due to my not following directions.Now, I'm getting to the point of just going with my gut and ignoring instructions that seem odd.

    Sounds like your instincts were right on target.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you did a fantastic job. they look so beautiful:)thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful rolls you made. I am looking for a good book on breadmaking; would you recommend the Bread baking apprentice? I have heard good things about it..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Simone: Yes, I definitely recommend this book. I learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look great! I have read other posts about these kaiser rolls and they have had the exact same complaint about the lack of an egg white glaze in the recipe, which seems to have been used on the rolls pictured in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bookmarking these to try! I haven't had much luck with rolls yet but these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Lisa! I will have a look at the book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. these are just screaming for a huge mound of pork barbecue and a smaller but still substantial heap of cole slaw. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips