Friday, March 4, 2011

Ambrosia with White Chocolate Whipped Cream

When you think of Southern food, a few classic dishes like biscuits, chicken and dumplings, pimento cheese, and shrimp and grits always come to mind. A new book called Quick-Fix Southern by Rebecca Lang sets out to make those classics and several new dishes doable when time is lacking. I received a review copy of this book, and in it I found recipes for snacking, picnics, salads, parties, casseroles, and of course, Southern sweets. There are cooking tips like chopping greens into thin ribbons to speed up cooking time or cooking everything for shrimp and grits together in the oven instead of separately on top of the stove to reduce active time. And, there are some classics like fried green tomatoes and okra fritters that don’t take long to prepare anyway. Beyond the Southern classics, there are also dishes like catfish tacos, warm curried fruit, and a key lime martini. When I got to the sweets chapter, I was drawn to the ambrosia since citrus is still in season. It’s a simple salad with supremed ruby red grapefruit and navel oranges, pineapple chunks, and a layer of whipped cream.

In the book, the ambrosia is composed as a trifle, but I served it in individual portions. I also took the liberty of garnishing with pomegranate seeds because I still had a couple of homegrown, tiny pomegranates on hand. I have a dwarf pomegranate shrub which actually produced fruits, albeit very small fruits, this year, and those fruits were packed with delightful seeds. So, to begin making this dessert, fresh pineapple was cut into chunks, and navel oranges and red grapefruits were cut into segments. The fruits were placed in a sieve and allowed to drain. Be sure to save the juice that collects for another use or mix it with a little vodka for a quick cocktail. Next, white chocolate was melted and allowed to cool, and cream was whipped. There was no added sugar as the white chocolate added just enough sweetness to the cream. The whipped cream was whisked into the melted white chocolate in two steps, and then it was time to layer it with the mixed fruits.

Coconut usually makes an appearance in ambrosia, and I missed it here a little. Some freshly grated coconut pieces that had been toasted would have been a nice addition, but that would have made this a slightly more complicated and time-consuming dish. As it was, there were certainly no complaints. The layers of fruit and rich, white chocolate whipped cream made for a Southern-style dessert full of fresh flavors with just enough decadence.



25 comments:

  1. Mmmhhh, heavenly and so refreshing!

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty little pommegrantes! And the ambrosia looks divine! Funny, I usually avoid ambrosia like the plague as my Southern aunts love to make it with cool whip AND add extra sugar (as if cool whip weren't sweet enough)! It's ghastly. Your ambrosia just might change my mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't thought of this dessert for such a long time!! I love that this recipe uses a lighter hand with the whipped cream!!
    This would be perfect after a spicy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been eating so much chocolate lately that this looks perfect and definitely refreshing. I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not had ambrosia in so long, it seems like a retro dessert to me, but I have always loved the flavors and the added touch of the white chocolate whipped cream sounds simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lisa....what a great post and it looks wonderfully refreshing! This classic deserves the recognition you give it. I was brought up with really BAD ambrosia (similar to Shelley)....time to give this beauty another shot. Love the pomegranate seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa,
    I'm thrilled you liked the ambrosia. Your version in the glass is certainly beautiful. Thank you for your review!
    Rebecca Lang

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love desserts that are absolutely laden with fruit and this sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the whipped cream that's most intriguing here. That'd be good on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be the right dessert for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds so refreshing. I love the addition of white chocolate. Oh, yes, I'll be sure to save some juice for a cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did u know, in greek mythology, the Gods only ate "ambrosia" and drank "nectar." This must be an interpretation of what someone thinks that was. I'd love to try it myself, I am a goddess after all ;)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, that looks great!!
    Awesome clicks too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. how lucky you are to have your own pomegranate tree. they are so cute so tiny.
    the ambrosia looks so good, so refreshing.
    thanks for sharing Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know that ambrosia was a southern dish. This does look quite refreshing and you are right it's a perfect time to take advantage of citrus season. I like your idea of using the excess fruit juices for a cocktail, which I wish I could have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous pictures. AND... I am obsessed with Pomegrante, is it a hard plant to look after? Im totally not a gardener, but Id love one all the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow looks like you're reaping from your little orchard already! So awesome! Love all the fruit combination in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks lovely and refreshing and the addition of that white chocolate cream.... hmmm, can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anna: Pomegranate shrubs grow easily here in Austin, TX. In the heat of our summer, it does need to be watered regularly, but it can take both our heat and our few days of freezing winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so refreshing! white chocolate cream...YUM

    ReplyDelete
  21. Feels like summer, so colorful and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I grew up on Ambrosia during the summer months, well, mainly because it was one of the few things my mother could make well. LOVING the white chocolate whipped cream. I usually fold the whipped cream into fruit, mini-marshmallows and coconut, and a white chocolate cream is what I'm going to use next time. Love your version..it's beautiful and refreshing and the addition of pomegranate seeds is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ambrosia is SO tasty. it is, after all, the food of the gods! :) i love your touch of adding the pomegranate seeds, and i think coconut is a must for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I saw the title of your post in my feed reader, I was thinking of the gloppy stuff of my childhood. This is so much better! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds like a delightful dessert, love the sound of the white chocolate whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips