Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring Barley Risotto

Spring is here, and I'm having a thing with asparagus. I keep bringing it into every meal. It partners so well with eggs like in a baked egg dish with parmesan I've been making for years or even just simply roasted and then topped with softly scrambled eggs. For dinner meals, I've been making different grain dishes with asparagus and other spring players like scallions, leeks, and peas. This barely risotto was my favorite of those so far, and it's another recipe from Power Foods. I have bookmarks sticking out of several pages of that book, and last week, I asked for votes on Twitter about which of two dishes to try next. It was this risotto or stuffed poblanos, and it was a very close race. Of course, I made the poblanos too, so watch for those soon. In making the barley risotto, I embellished the dish just a tad by adding some pea shoots I had from my CSA and by sprinkling a little lemon zest on top. Otherwise, I stuck to the instructions for a simple, light, spring meal. And, unlike a traditional Arborio rice risotto, this one doesn’t require constant stirring.

To start, a little olive oil was heated in a large pan, and pearl barley and chopped leeks were added. Once the leeks had softened, white wine was added and minimal stirring ensued until the wine evaporated. Then, water was added, brought to a boil, and left to simmer until absorbed with just an occasional stir here and there. Vegetable broth was added next and the mixture was stirred occasionally over about 10 or 15 minutes until the barley was cooked through and the liquid had thickened. I placed a big handful of pea shoots on top and let them steam for the last few minutes. Then, thawed, frozen peas were added with grated parmigiano reggiano and thinly sliced mint leaves. I served the risotto with lemon zest and shards of parmigiano on top.

It's a light dish with no butter and just a half cup of grated cheese, but chewy, nutritious barley rounds it out and makes it filling. The spring vegetables shine, and the mint points up their flavors. I know zucchini is coming soon, along with summer tomatoes in every color, but I need a little more time with asparagus first.



21 comments:

  1. Yay for the spring barley risotto!! This looks gorgeous Lisa, perfect for spring....and I love that it doesn't require the constant stirring! Winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just by looking at your picture I can say that spring is here. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spring leeks and asparagus on my site today too!
    Too bad it feels like winter here. I am sick of it!
    I could make a stew today and it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dish just screams Spring! I sure wish I had a plate in front of me right now or a fork that could pluck a bite from the screen. Delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a healthy and delicious risotto! Spring food is wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that I'm hopeless at risotto, but this looks so good, I may just have to get back on the risotto wagon. Bravo to asparagus and you
    Miss T
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a thing for asparagas at the moment as well as peas, leeks and barley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever asparagus comes back into season, I can't help but stuff it into everything as well. I'm loving how green this risotto is! Definitely a sign of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your spring barley risotto sounds amazing Lisa, I you could taste the spring in it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barley risotto sounds really good! I know what you mean about asparagus ;) It's in such abundance lately in the fresh market. Mmmm this is really the perfect dish for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful way to treat asparagus! I make a risotto with them too but mine isn't nearly so springy or green. I have to say, I love pea shoots. They are an under appreciated vegetable and look so great here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo...we can have our thing with asparagus...:D but at least you are cooking them in a variety of dishes. I am still stuck with my boring way of cooking them and enjoying them in a boring way though :P

    Simply love your healthy nutritious and delicious-looking risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I voted for risotto so I'm glad it won. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lately asparagus makes its was into my dishes too. your spring barley risotto is so creamy, perfect comfort food. Thanks for sharing Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't had any asparagus this season and asparagus rissoto is one of my faves! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this barley risotto, simply perfect for Spring, I saw pea shoots at the store the other day, and ALMOST bought it

    you add the asparagus raw together with the leeks, or you parboil them separately and add at the end?

    I haven't found pearled barley lately, but if I do find some I'm making this dish on the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sally: I added the asparagus raw to the barley at the end with the frozen peas. I didn't parboil. Five or so minutes was enough to make the asparagus crisp tender.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful post. I am planning some risotto later in the week. I hope mine comes out well too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous photo of the risotto! I love barley risotto and I love the spring flavors in this one - will definitely be making this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous spring risotto! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so nice to see all the various greenery nestled in those bites of barley. You fashioned up a good one. It's really hearty and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips