Friday, August 5, 2011

Vegetable Summer Rolls with Chile Lime Dipping Sauce and Salt and Pepper Squid

What we have with these two dishes is a delicious mix of contrasts. With the rolls, the pale, white, chewy rice paper wrappers are filled with bright, colorful, crunchy vegetables, and they're mild tasting until dipped in the chile lime sauce. Meanwhile, the fried squid is crispy on the outside and coated with a riot of flavor after being stir-fried with garlic, green onions, and chiles. Under the crisp coating, the squid is pale and mild. These recipes came from an article about party food in last June's Food and Wine. I didn't actually make them for a party, but I can tell you they would have worked well for one. The summer rolls can sit in the refrigerator for a few hours after being assembled, and the squid can be kept warm in the oven after it's been fried. I did make one small change to the summer rolls. One of the filling items was supposed to have been rice vermicelli, but I was determined to use all raw ingredients and not have to cook anything for the rolls. So, I used shredded lettuce in place of the noodles. I made a slight change to the squid as well since I skipped the dusting with five spice powder that was suggested. Otherwise, I followed the instructions and was thrilled with the results.

For me, making summer rolls is one of those fun kitchen tasks like pitting cherries and rolling fresh pasta dough. You soften a brittle rice paper wrapper in warm water, lay it flat, and pile on the fillings before folding in the sides and rolling it up snuggly. It seals itself into a nice, little package. I think the self-sealing is possibly what makes it so fun. The fillings here were thin strips of red and yellow bell pepper, shredded lettuce instead of rice vermicelli, strips of avocado which I tossed with lime juice to prevent it from turning brown, julienned cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, Thai basil leaves from my garden, and I might have added a few thin strips of serrano chile as well. The dipping sauce for the rolls was made with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, water, and a chopped red chile. The fried squid was breaded simply by dipping the cut pieces into egg and then into cornstarch. It was fried in batches and left to drain. Once all the squid was fried, it was then quickly stir-fried in a little oil in which garlic, green onions, minced red onion, and a finely chopped jalapeno had been cooked.

I actually really like squid, but I realize it might not be everyone's favorite ingredient. When it's fried though, it's hard not to like, and this version with the added flavor from the final stir fry was especially good. The salad in roll form was fresh and light while feeling a little more substantial than just a salad on a plate. These two dishes full of contrasts went together perfectly.



20 comments:

  1. I love this Asia meets Mexico recipe. Very summery and mouthwatering.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried squid? What's not to like and the veggie summer rolls are perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in a circle of fried squid lovers. (It's great grilled too.) Count us in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum- crispy fried squid with refreshing veggie rolls? Sounds like a perfect summer meal. Love the mix of spicy and cool flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh...I really love how refreshing and exciting this looks, and I don't really like squid. But after seeing this, I think I can dig right in! Beautifully done Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salt & pepper squid? How unusual and wonderful. These rolls look absolutely delicious. Love all the colourful, healthful ingredients you've assembled here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first word that comes to mind is refreshing. It all sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great, creative recipe! I would have never considered fried squid inside a Summer type roll, but... I bet it~s wonderful!

    my husband is a squid-addict, loves it, I must try this once I~m back in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like making summer rolls too - I find it very meditative and relaxing. I love your idea of shredded lettuce in there instead of noodles. Sometimes I find rolls with noodles in them too starchy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made summer rolls but have always wanted to try. You make it sound so comforting Lisa and absolutely inviting.

    I'm having a problem finding fresh squid around here but, now, I am on a mission. I will find it!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the summer rolls and the squid look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can never get enough summer rolls! Yours look great and the pairing with squid is brilliant! The salt and pepper squid balances the lightness of the rolls perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The rice paper roll fillings are so colourful and summery ... I went to a holiday in Vietnam a few weeks ago and your rice paper rolls bring back fond memories of the wonderful food I had there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh, beautiful rolls. What a great summer meal. I really must try these out....I've never played around with rice paper before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can we exchange some veggie rolls, if you don't mind? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  16. squid is simply not for me, but i love the look of your summer rolls and the sauce sounds incredible. see--there's something to love in every dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovge these rolls look amazing Lisa!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  18. There will be a party when I make these...IN MY MOUTH. Seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love salt and pepper squid, and just had tofu treated this way and equally delicious. there is just something about this simple technique that works.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips