Thursday, September 1, 2011

Brioche Hamburger Buns

I'm pretty excited about this. I finally made hamburger buns, and yes, that is exciting. I'd heard for years that Nancy Silverton's recipe for brioche buns was the best there is, and I put off trying it time and again. I had all sorts of excuses. These buns are a little bit decadent, they take a little time to make, and if my first test run turned out ok, I would need freezer space to store the extra buns. I finally got over the excuses, went for it, and couldn't be happier that I did. They were insanely good. I told you I was excited. The recipe is found in the Breads from the La Brea Bakery book, and that book has never disappointed. The buns are made from the raisin brioche bread dough recipe only you skip the raisins of course. It is a three-day process to make them, but not much work is involved on any of those days. The first day is for making the sponge with both sourdough starter and some yeast, and that sits for a day. The next day, the dough is mixed, and that again is left for a day to develop flavor while it ferments. Day three is for shaping the buns and baking, and the dough is so delightful to work with and smells so fantastic, you'll be happy to do this. The only change I will make next time will be to cut the dough into fourteen buns instead of twelve because even though they were shapely and kind of stunning at a nice, big size, they were a bit bigger than I expected for hamburger buns.

I did say this was a three-day bread, but it really was very easy. It only took a few minutes to mix the sponge made from water, yeast, sourdough starter, milk, and bread flour. It was covered and left at room temperature for about twelve hours and then placed in the refrigerator for twelve hours. The next day, the brioche dough was made. First, five eggs were whisked in a small bowl. Then, in the bowl of a stand mixer, the sponge was combined with half the eggs, more bread flour, and sugar. After mixing with a dough hook, the remaining eggs were slowly added. Once the eggs were incorporated, the mixer was turned to high speed, and this gives it a workout, and the dough was mixed until smooth. The stand mixer will move around from the weight of the dough, so don't walk away. Next, the fun, decadent part of brioche happens in which nine ounces of butter is slowly added piece by piece as the mixer continues at a slower speed. When the butter has all been worked into the dough, you remove the dough from the bowl and knead for a few minutes, and that's it for day two. The dough was placed in an oiled bowl, covered tightly, and left in the refrigerator to slowly ferment for a day. On the third and final day, the dough was divided into twelve pieces which resulted in rather big buns, and next time I will divide it into fourteen, but those twelve pieces of dough were left to rest under a towel for a few minutes. After resting, each piece of dough was formed into a smooth bun and placed on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Six buns fit on each of two sheets. The baking sheets were covered with towels, and the buns were allowed to proof for three hours. Before baking, I brushed them with an egg wash and sprinkled on black and white sesame seeds. They baked for a total of about 25 minutes with some water spritzing for the first five minutes.

These might be worth baking for the brioche aroma from the oven alone. But, who am I kidding? They were easily the most delicious things to sandwich a burger I've encountered. They have some give without being squishy and are easy to bite into when filled with a patty and toppings, and the flavor is all it should be with the butter, eggs, sourdough, and long, slow fermenting of the dough. Now I know, there's no need for excuses, and this is the bun I'll want for all future burgers.

I’m submitting this to Yeastspotting where you’ll find some seriously well-made bread.



24 comments:

  1. Mmmhhh, now I'm craving Hamburgers! Those buns look amazing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made brioche bread in loaf form and it is awesome. I am sure that it is complimentary as a hamburger bun as well-I may have to try this. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous brioche Lia. Though I am not a burger person, I could still just this brioche alone. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooove brioche bread, and wrapping it around a delicious burger can only make it better! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa, your brioche buns look delicious, I love the richness of it. Perfect for hamburgers!
    Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really getting to be an expert here Lisa. When are you opening that bakery??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woww... for a good breakfast, I love absolutely exquisite and beautiful look,... Yumy Yumy,hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! I guess good things come to those who wait, huh? I haven't tried making brioche with starter yet. I'll have to give it a try. You reminded me I need to pull out my old copy of La Brea Bakery Breads. It's one of the first cookbooks I ever bought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! What did you sandwich between the buns?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill: I'm so glad you asked! The answer to that is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what beautiful buns, Lisa! They look awesome. I can just imagine that aroma!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. loving the glaze it got and such beautifully shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice brioche buns Lisa - perfect golden colour and I love the combination of poppy and sesame seeds on top!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful. I think I can almost smell that incredible brioche aroma. I started making brioche loaves this year. It is one of my all time favorite foods. Thank you for these burger bun tips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AWESOME! I've been tempted by that recipe for the longest time, but I'm still sitting on the many excuses to leave it for "later"

    I look forward to your post on how you used them - I'm sure you made something very special!

    happy Labor Day weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I won't be needing to rush for a holiday bun. I can have my own one customized to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could eat these buns just like that! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly a labor of love but look at the results! Worth every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. they are soooo cute, I just want to pat them and press them against my face (was that creepy, I think it might have been creepy, sorry :D). And you don't even need the burger with a bun like this, you can just eat the buns.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am fairly certain that these are the most beautiful hamburger buns I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Three days is a worthy investment for those beauties! I love your addition of black and white sesame seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, stunning buns! Hey, did I just tell a stranger that she had stunning buns???!! LOL!

    Anywho, those look loverly; could you please post the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  23. although i've only made brioche once, i say the word and eat the bread as often as i can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your brioche buns look perfect! This is one of our favorite breads, but we can't have them too often since they are so rich. I will definitely have to make the recipe for times when splurging is in order!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips