Thursday, October 13, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits with Parsley and Sage

I feel like I’ve been keeping this from you. It wasn’t on purpose of course, but I’ve made these twice before and am only just now getting around to telling you about them. These biscuits are as easy to make as they are delicious, and I highly suggest doubling the recipe which I’ve done each time I’ve made them. There’s chopped, fresh sage in the biscuit dough, and then when they come out of the oven, they’re brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with chopped parsley. They’re as rich and decadent as buttermilk biscuits should be, and they’re pretty with flecks of herbs inside and out. I found these biscuits in the book Flour by Joanne Chang. The first time I made them, I was looking for something savory to take to the Austin Bakes bake sale earlier this year in April. I was delighted with them, and since they’re quick to prepare, I made them again for the bake sale that just happened a few weeks ago. There’s no cutting butter into flour by hand. The entire process takes place in a mixer. And, once the biscuits are formed, they can be placed in the freezer until you’re ready to bake them. I’m already thinking about how convenient that would be for Thanksgiving dinner.

So, you start the dough by placing the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix briefly to combine. Then, you add butter that’s been cut into pieces, and mix until the butter breaks down some. In a small bowl, buttermilk, cream, egg, and chopped sage are whisked together and then added to the mixing bowl, and that is mixed into the flour and butter just until the dough comes together. As you transfer the dough to a work surface, you can work in any loose flour in the bottom of the mixing bowl. After patting the dough into a one-inch thick rectangle, I cut square biscuits to make things easy. Of course, you could use a round cutter, but I like the efficiency of only shaping and cutting once. Since I doubled the recipe and cut smallish squares, I ended up with 20 biscuits. They baked for 40 minutes, and then the tops were bushed with melted butter and sprinkled with chopped parsley. I sprinkled some coarse sea salt on them as well.

Like every recipe I’ve tried from this book, it works beautifully. My only disappointment with these biscuits is that each time I've baked them, I only kept a couple of them at home. I was happy to take them to the bake sales, but next time, I’m making a batch just for us.



27 comments:

  1. I have been trying to make a nice flaky biscuit for ever now. It's my husband's fav :)
    YOurs are looking just so perfect Lisa. I should follow you recipe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I have seen this book mentioned before, it seems to really have great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent! Those biscuits look so beautiful and tempting. I love the addition of herbs.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. so flaky! there is certainly an art to making the perfect buttermilk biscuit, and yours look sensational. the herbs make them look extra beautiful and must contribute some great flavors! i'm impressed, lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After seeing your photos, I suddenly have an unstoppable craving and urge to have those. I think I am going to try these out this weekend! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This biscuits look so flaky and flavorful! I can only imagine the smell while they are baking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I love the way you cut them in squares, pretty cute!

    I've had biscuits in my mind for a while, we usually have them with a special chicken recipe, and Fall is a perfect time for it. I'm revving up the engines ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look too amazing to ignore. Can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've flipped through the Flour cookbook at least a gazillion times and I can't believe I missed these! Oy! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember these biscuits from the last bake sale. Kathryn delivered one to me and it was delicious! I'll have to look up the recipe- gotta love a biscuit dough that can be made in a mixer. I'm already envisioning all sorts of herb combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! Your biscuits are perfect, no wonder you double the recipe. I have a lovely sage bush in my herb garden that is just waiting to contribute to the cause!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always been a horribe sage user, meaning I used to overdo it whenever a recipe called for it, thinking I was enhancing the flavor. Thankfully, I learned my lesson so I didn't ruin anymore Thanksgiving stufffings! Your biscuits are lovely. Texas has the best biscuit makers (lived on them with gravy 2 weeks one summer in Pasadena when I was 13 and visiting a friend), including you! Yeah, I know, Joanne Chang's Flour Bakery is in Cambridge, MA, but I can tell yours taste better ;D

    BTW..I put the plum sauce recipe up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have that book and have actually been a bit disappointed by the sweet things in there. I guess I need to check out the more savory things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is no doubt in my mind that I love savoury biscuits like nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where the hell's the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous: Thanks so much visiting. The recipe is in the book where it is protected by copyright. I don't re-print recipes from books without publisher's permission out of respect for the effort put into creating those books by all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look great! I am thinking of making asimilar bread with semolina.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look like heaven! I love the spice addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm in charge of the Christmas menu at the in-laws this year - look like I may be adding this to it!! Sounds super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. they look lovely, just the right thing to do with my sage before the cold will take it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look so gorgeous and savoury! and love the idea that they can be pre-made and stashed in the freezer, it's so nice to have freshly baked biscuits whenever the craving sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man, Lisa, these are perfect biscuits! Perfect! And I love savory biscuits like this. I will have to check out this book! I love all things bakes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to make them for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look perfect. I have not made buttermilk biscuits before.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfection! Hand over the buttah!!!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips