Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Caramel Crumb Bars

I don't usually show you the same thing twice, but these caramel bars are worth mentioning again. The first time they appeared, they were one of three cookies in a post and didn't get enough of the spotlight. I made them again recently for a bake sale, and now I'm giving them the attention they deserve. They're from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri, and he notes that if he had to choose a favorite cookie this would be it. That's a serious statement coming from someone who has baked as much as he has. I don't know that I could pick one favorite cookie. Maybe I could narrow down a few favorites I've baked this year or possibly an all-time top ten list. Can you name one favorite cookie? I did make one change to the bars this time. Rather than baking them in a nine by thirteen-inch pan, I used a nine-inch square pan. I wanted each layer to be a little thicker than they were last time. I left them in the oven for a few extra minutes, and the change in pan size seemed to work fine.

The dough is as easy as it gets. Butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and flour were combined in a mixer, and then three quarters of the dough was patted into a pan that had been lined with parchment. The remaining dough was reserved for the crumb topping, additional flour was added to it, and it was worked into about one quarter inch crumbs. The pan with the dough was chilled. Meanwhile, the caramel filling was made in a saucepan from a mixture of butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, and condensed milk. It thickened and turned a nice, caramel color in about ten minutes. It was allowed to cool for five minutes before being poured onto the chilled dough. The crumb topping was sprinkled on top, and the bars baked for 35 minutes in a nine-inch square pan. Since I baked mine in a smaller pan for a few minutes longer, the edges became just slightly darker than I wanted. After the bars cooled and I removed them from the pan, I trimmed a thin slice off each edge. It was an added step to the process, but I really liked the thicker layers in this version.

The cookie base was crunchy, the caramel filling was gooey but held its shape well, and the crumb topping was buttery bliss. I'm easy to please when a cookie includes caramel or a crumb topping, and these have both. I might not mention these on this site for a third time, twice seems like enough, but I'll definitely be making them again and again.



30 comments:

  1. Things which look that tempting deserves multiple visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Think I could use pears? I need a break from apples, I went a lil nuts on the honeycrisps lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignore me, I didn't click through to the first post to read the recipe. I thought they were caramel apple bars. Carry on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Divine looking! so droolworthy...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect Perfect my dear....
    Trust this will look delicious every time you"ll mention them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kidding? Caramel in a bar? And nothing but? And with condensed milk? How divine. I copied that before I commented! :)
    I don't think I could pick a favorite cookie...perhaps Giada's apricot and pine nut gems if I was pressed. But I do prefer bars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW: did you know these won top cookie recipe of 2008?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these squares so much! They are one of my favorite desserts I've discovered since I started to blog. So easy and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crumbles and caramel-yes these little gems do need their own spotlight. They also need their own place in my kitchen-delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, These look irresistible! Buttery, crunchy caramely goodness.
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for giving these amazing crumb bars attention! I think they totally deserve it. I can't tell you how delicious that caramel filling looks. I would love to have some now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They do sound amazing, totally addictive i would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have that book, and somehow didn't pay attention to this recipe. Sounds absolutely divine!

    you ask about a favorite cookie - I am not wild about cookies, my weakness is bread, but I'd say either speculoos or snickerdoodles would be my top choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well if you say they are worth mentioning twice, I guess they are really worth trying. They looks really tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was making an apple pie today but this sounds even better! It's all about the crust or topping for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look terrific! Making them a bit thicker was a good one- you really can't have too much caramel. I'd have to say my favorite cookie is probably some iteration on chocolate chip- I never get tired of trying a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow your favourite book? Now I've got to check this out! :) They look so scrumptious-I'm a sucker for caramel shortbread!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds utterly scrumptious. The crumb topping is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Lisa, these would have been wonderful to bring to the Cookbook Party. October is National Caramel Month too!!!

    They sure do look scrumptious!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look awesome!

    I can't find the recipe that has the measurements.

    Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I absolutely adored these as well! it seems like you got the perfectly thick layer of caramel! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that caramel in the bars..and the bars look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was looking for the recipe on your blog and could not find it. I will look into my Modern Baker cookbook. They look like a treat we would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i'm fairly certain that the majority of that caramel filling would never make it to the bar--i think caramel must be my favorite sweet treat of all, even over chocolate. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG, these are so perfect I want to grab one right from the screen. This is such a temptation which I must avoid after losing 15 kilos :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just sold a dear friend that book on Friday at the cookbook store. I haven't used it enough but I know that it is a true gem. I love caramel - LOVE IT - and need more if it in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Buttery and sweet. That's the best thing about caramel. This looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad to brought these bars back to life. I love caramel treats, I almost never make some now since I can't stop until all are gone :(
    Yours look very very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  29. MMMMMM,..;Lisa! Your bars look so divine! Realy tasty food!;)
    I can't wait to try them too!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips