Friday, December 9, 2011

Apple Cranberry Crumb Tart

I have to tell you about one more Thanksgiving dish, and then I promise to move on. As usual, I was indecisive about what dessert should be, and I considered everything from a chocolate and caramel tart to various pumpkin creations. In the end, fall fruits won. Actually, that’s not entirely true. I saw a crumb tart that was originally made with summer fruits, and the crumb topping and crisp-edged crust are what won me over. Crammed away in my files, the page with this tart had been cut from the June 1999 issue of Living magazine, and the recipe is online. I decided to switch out the raspberries and plums from the original version and use granny smith apples and cranberries instead. The important thing here, though, is really the crust. It was made with ground hazelnuts and cinnamon, and it was pressed into a spring-form pan and up the sides. I was sure that as soon as the tart finished baking, cooled, and the ring was loosened, the tall sides of the crust would crumble and fall into pieces. I was thrilled to be wrong. The lacy, crisp edges of crust held their shape perfectly even after the tart was cut for serving. There is one other interesting detail about this tart, and that’s the custard in the filling. After adding cranberries and apple pieces to the blind-baked crust, some custard was poured over the top to settle its way in and around all the fruit. With crust edges that didn’t crumble, a custard and fruit filling, and the golden crumb topping, this dessert scored well in all categories.

First up was toasting the hazelnuts and rubbing them in a towel to remove the skins. Then, they went into a food processor and were pulsed until medium fine. The ground nuts were transferred to a stand mixer bowl, and flour, sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt were added. Cold pieces of butter were added next, and it was mixed until crumbs started sticking together. Three cups of the crumb mixture was pressed into a spring-form pan, and the rest was set aside. The crust was then baked for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, the apples were sliced, and the cranberries were washed. The custard was made with flour, sugar, an egg and an egg yolk, heavy cream, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. The fruit was placed in the baked and cooled crust, and the custard was poured over it. The remaining crumb mixture was sprinkled on top, and the tart baked for 50 minutes. I wasn’t completely happy with the color of the crumb topping after that amount of time, so I turned on the broiler for a few minutes to brown the crumbs a bit more. For serving, I topped each piece with whipped creme fraiche.

The custard in the filling is just enough to hold the fruit together well. The flavor and texture are really all about the fruit. But, it was the nutty, golden crust and crumb topping that stole the show in my opinion. The crust edges held their shape so nicely, and the buttery, golden crumbs on top were just right with the sweet-tart filling.



26 comments:

  1. A magnificent tart! The fruit combination and crumble are awesome.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try this pie, the apples and cranberries keep it traditional but a hazelnut crust makes it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was so proud of myself recently for pulling out a recipe I had saved from 2008. You are a marvel! No wonder why you kept this recipe all that time- looks like a winner! Love that nice high sided crust- very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness, when I see that hazelnuts, can't help but promise my self to make this. Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous dessert! And you would never know all those wonderful flavors are packed inside just from looking at it. I need a bite to make sure...love the custard too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a deceivingly decadent dessert. :) I am intrigued by the crust and if I could successfully make it gluten-free. Only one way to find out....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always so concerned that my tart crusts are going to topple over also! I'm so glad this was a success. It certainly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This tart is gorgeous! I'm loving all the fall flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just adore desserts with seasonal fruit. During the holiday season it is a welcome interlude to our favorite annual sweet marathon! The combination of apples and cranberries paired with hazelnuts is an irresistible combination. Great recipes never go out of style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hazelnut must have added a unique addictive flavor. I'll have to make this crust, it sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had pumpkin pie and pecan pie for Thanksgiving dessert. This looks so crumbly and delicious Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow - hazelnuts in the crust was all I needed to hear. I am thinking of a fruit dessert for Christmas eve and this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea to make this a more seasonal tart, Lisa. Although the plums and raspberries sound good too. Love the hazelnut crust.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, this is exactly - and I mean exactly - the tart I want to make. Now. Not for Thanksgiving but for the end of the year holidays. No, not even. This is such a perfect Autumn-flowing-gracefully-into-Winter tart... the flavors, the pretty crumb topping. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, this is a magnificent tart, just perfect !!!
    I love the crust with the hazelnuts make it more delicious, I am going to make it soon. This is something I love to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! This tart looks delicious...like the idea of the custard with the fruits and the crust with hazelnut. Beautifully done Lisa.
    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. your wedge looks perfectly incredible. i don't come across many tarts, but even so, this is the finest one i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cranberries just made the tart more festive! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, that does look delicious and I love how the cranberries give the dessert a great colour. That is so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the custard in the middle and the hazelnuts-cinnamon crust just sounds so divine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a delight for sure! Loving all the components here, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been making this very same tart since I first saw it on that printed edition of Living (1999?...wow, long time ago!!) and I just love it so much it has become my ultimate summer tart. I usually also change the fruits to the season or what´s available but never tried a more festive option like yours.

    I´m taking note for next year´s Thanksgiving ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips