Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lemon Wreath Cookies

I don’t know what your calendar looks like, but on mine instead of "December," it reads "Cookie Month." With parties, a cookie exchange, and several family birthdays, I get to try as many cookie recipes as I want all month long. I’ve been marking pages of holiday cookie recipes since November or pre-cookie month. So, this is the first of a few cookies you’ll be seeing here in the coming days. These delightful, little lemon cookies appeared in the December 2009 issue of Living magazine, and they showed up again in the special issue Holiday Cookies publication last year. I baked these for my sister-in-law for her birthday, but it was a selfish choice. These are very much like my favorite, little ring-shaped cookies that I always bring home from Mandola’s which is a nearby Italian restaurant and market. When I buy them there, they’re called anginetti cookies, but they’re also sometimes called ciambelle. They’re a little crunchy but mostly tender, they last well for days, and the bright, lemon flavor is in both the cookie and the glaze. The cookies I buy from Mandola’s don’t have sprinkles on them, but the magazine version did. I think it dresses them up nicely.

To start, these follow standard cookie procedure. Flour, baking powder, and salt were sifted together into a bowl. Lemon zest and sugar were combined, and that mixture was added to butter and creamed until fluffy. Eggs were added followed by vanilla extract and lemon juice, and then the flour mixture was slowly added while mixing. To form the cookies, one tablespoon of dough at a time was rolled into a short, four-inch rope. The rope was shaped into a ring and placed on a baking sheet, and that was repeated until all the dough was used. The cookies were baked and cooled, and then the lemon glaze was made from confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. The top side of each cookie was dipped into the glaze, and they were topped with sprinkles.

Once the glaze is dry, these cookies store very well, or they would have if I could’ve stopped eating them. These could easily become a regular player in my annual Cookie Month, but from now on, I’ll also be baking them throughout the year.



31 comments:

  1. Pretty and tempting cookies! I am a sucker for citrusy and iced cookies.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I just wanted to let you know that those chocolate caramel bars from the cookie swap were outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith: Thank you! So glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, would you believe I haven't done any holiday baking yet?

    Don't shun me. These look delicious and might just pull me out of my baking funk :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous little cookies! They'd be a wonderful addition to a Christmas cookie plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those Mandola's cookies! I can never leave without a half dozen. I had thought about trying to find a recipe to make them at home. Now I know where to look. Yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at lemon. I was totally hooked at "glaze." I want to make these - eat these, I mean - right now. I hope this recipe's still online. Hope hope hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellise: Yep, the recipe is still online. Here's the link again: http://www.marthastewart.com/318042/christines-lemon-wreath-cookies

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous! Prettier than most ornaments. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so cute! And I'd LOVE my month to read cookie month instead of December! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well...I will have to add them to my list of new cookies to try this Christmas. They look delicious and so pretty. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cookies would be a welcome addition to my holiday baking. Love the lemon flavor and also the shape of these cookies. Cookie elegance! Sometimes there is just so much chocolate, peppermint and holiday spice; lemon would be delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had to comment to say these are so pretty! I love lemon cookies too :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are too cute! i love the glaze on it, they kinda look like little donuts to me:) thank you for sharing this and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of making them into a wreath shape and then sprinkled with green leaf shaped and little red balls nonpareils. My 3 yr old would love the whimsy of it. I'll have to try these. I enjoy a lemon "melt away" with a similar recipe so I will enjoy this shape and texture variation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, I have been baking cookies too but certainly not half as pretty and Christmassy as these beautiful wreath cookies! Stunning and festive and oooh love anything lemon! Great recipe, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my kids would love these. So pretty! And lemon is a nice welcome bright flavor at this time of year. I find so many "Christmas cookies" to all kind of taste the same. These would be a lovely addition to my gift bags!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy yum! These looks like mini donuts, chock full of yummyness! And that glaze?!? Oh my :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are like mini lemony doughnuts ;-)) very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look absolutely divine. I tend to pass up many a cookie during the holiday season but no way would I pass this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love anything "citrucy". I've made a lot of cookies the past days but only looking at them and drooling.. you know why. I wish I could eat some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a great and appropriately festive idea! it seems like all the cookies on the typical christmas tray are so heavy and rich, this is a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea. I love the look of these. Since I dont have time this month im gonna book mark for January

    ReplyDelete
  24. they are so beautiful lisa....happy holidays !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glazed lemony cookies in the shape of little bite-sized doughnuts: Dangerously delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look beautiful Lisa :) I'm making biscuits and nougat gift boxes for friends and family. These would make a beautiful addition!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These little cookies look beautiful! I've seen these several times in cookbooks and in magazines, and now i must make them. Lemon is such a nice way to brighten up the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love anything with lemon! These are so cute and a must try! I have just pinned them. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love citrus flavored anything, so these sound great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love lemon anything and I am thinking i need to fabricate an excuse to do some more cookie baking. These sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips