Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pomegranate-Glazed Salmon with Armenian Rice

I've been thinking about this dish for a long time. I made it for the first time ages ago, but I failed to take any photos. I don't remember why, but I must have been rushed. Since then, I kept remembering the citrus and ginger in the salmon marinade, the tart pomegranate molasses in the glaze, the buttery rice, and the pretty edamame and pomegranate seed garnish. It was time to make this again and this time with a camera in hand. The recipe is from the December 2009 issue of Food and Wine, and it's available online. Now, fresh, wild salmon and pomegranates are not in season at the same time, but this dish works well with previously frozen salmon. Whole Foods must have read my mind because just when I pulling out this recipe again, there was a special on wild salmon that had been frozen at the peak of the last season. The thawed and portioned salmon fillet does need to be marinated for about an hour, but then finishing the dish goes quickly.

For the marinade, soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, agave nectar, smashed garlic cloves, grated ginger, and salt and pepper were combined. The salmon pieces were placed in a shallow dish, covered with the marinade, and refrigerated for an hour. While the salmon marinates, you can make the glaze which is a mix of pomegranate molasses, agave nectar, soy sauce, minced garlic, grated ginger, and lime zest. Next, you should start the Armenian rice. The rice recipe makes a huge quantity, and I cut it in half. To start, butter was melted in a large saucepan, and then vermicelli broken into small pieces was added with pine nuts. That was cooked until everything was golden brown, and long-grain rice was added. Chicken stock was added and brought to a boil before reducing the heat to low, covering the pan, and cooking for 25 minutes. When cooked, the rice was fluffed and chopped mint was added. The salmon was placed on a baking sheet, brushed with half of the glaze, and cooked under the broiler for a few minutes. The rest of the glaze was brushed on the salmon, and it finished cooking for a few more minutes. To serve, the salmon was set on the rice, and the plate was garnished with edamame and pomegranate seeds.

The big, fresh, tart, and savory flavors carried by the salmon were highlighted by the pop of the pomegranate seeds, and the mild, nutty, herby rice was a great contrast. It's not all that often that I circle back and make the same thing twice, and I was thrilled to find this dish was definitely as good as I remembered.



27 comments:

  1. I adore salmon and love it even more with a citrus-y glaze. Food & Wine always has such amazing recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful colors and flavors! That slamon dish must taste wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the addition of pomegranate in this dish!
    The colors in these wonderful photos can't help but stimulate the senses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely perfect, everything goes together like a dream, I must make this!

    In face, I have pomegranate molasses on my list of things to search for next time I go to Whole Foods

    beautiful meal, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful looking dish! Pomogranate is such a little treasure when you find those plump little seeds inside and such a fresh addition to a dish.

    I imagine the freshness of the pomogranate with the oiliness of the salmon would be a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red and green just look so beautiful and make the already delicious salmon even more delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for a new salmon recipe. Nice flavors. Love the pomegranate molasses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a totally beautiful meal and it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish is so pretty and looks delicious, too! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!! I'm a big fan of salmon and can't have enough recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely gorgeous! Love that glaze. I will have to bookmark this to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous color combination! I missed that Salmon special- another request Eric forgot to pick up. Now I'm even sorrier as that salmon looks terrific. P.S. Where did you pick up the pomegranate syrup or did you make your own?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shelley: I bought pomegranate molasses at Central Market, but Whole Foods has it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, yum! Once again you are working with flavors that all sound so good to me. Salmon is one of my favorite proteins and we usually just grill it and add a little lemon. I am diggin' your gussied up salmon dish!
    Have a good weekend!
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious! I love salmon and always looking for new ways to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That marinade sounds amazing and so suited to salmon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just check out the rice recipe, I don't think I can ignore it :). You know, rice is staple food for me, and this Armenian style rice is one of that list must make rice. Thanks for sharing Lisa!

      Delete
  17. So healthy and delicious!! I would love have this right now! Delish~ Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That looks so delicious -- lovely colors on the palette, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this dish. I've used pomegranate molasses in marinades and it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That dish looks so beautiful. I love all the contrasting but complimenting colours. You have photographed the dish so well (now that you have your camera!). I'm sure the flavours are amazing. I just love cooking with pomegranates. What an incredible fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. tania@mykitchenstoriesFebruary 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM

    OH Lisa this looks beautiful. I have been looking for a lovely salmon or ocean trout recipe for my cooking classes . I will let you know if I do this .I love this

    ReplyDelete
  22. there's something about the idea of pairing pomegranate with salmon that just pulls me in. Maybe it's the tart/fat combo. Either way. uber delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the marinade and the addition of pomegranate is perfect. great dish and lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pictures are so beautiful :) Nothing better than a juicy and plump pomegrantate!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips