Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Walnut Spice Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting

The birthday cake conversation has changed over the years. There was a time when I would ask Kurt what kind of cake he’d like for his birthday, and the answer was chocolate. No pondering, no pause, no prompts for suggestions. Just chocolate. In recent years, the answer hasn’t come quite so quickly. He still likes chocolate but wants to hear other ideas too. This year, I presented three options that I thought he’d like, and he chose this lovely, layered creation with white cake and spice cake topped with chocolate fudge frosting and chopped walnuts. It’s from Saveur, and the recipe is online. It’s simpler to make than it appears because you only mix one cake batter rather than two. After making the white batter and pouring half of it into a pan, you add spices to the remaining half before pouring that into a second cake pan. I liked that approach. And, the frosting was something new and different to me. It’s cooked on the stove and brought up to just below soft ball stage before being mixed briefly to fluff it up a bit. Then, you have to work quickly to top each layer and cover the cake before the frosting sets. Next time I make it I’ll know just how quickly it sets up and once it does, there’s no moving it. My only regret with this cake was that I didn’t really get the walnuts pressed into the sides of the cake because the frosting set so quickly. The fine powder of the walnuts stuck to the frosting on the cake sides but not the bigger pieces of nuts. In the end, I placed the nuts around the edge on top of the cake and around the bottom edge which was good enough. Kurt was happy with his choice, and I was thrilled with the spice cake flavors mingling with the chocolate fudge frosting. 

Although the recipe suggests using vegetable shortening, I never use it. I used butter instead which worked perfectly well and gave the cakes better flavor. Before mixing the cake batter, dry ingredients were combined, and wet ingredients were combined separately. Also, the spices including cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and I added nutmeg were mixed in a small bowl and set aside. In a stand mixer, butter and sugar were creamed before egg whites were added. I had a laugh at the recipe which states “add egg whites one at a time.” Of course, I had already separated all six egg whites into one bowl. I just slowly added them a little at a time while mixing. Have you ever separated egg whites into separate bowls? The dry ingredients were then added in three batches with the wet ingredients being added alternately in two batches. Half the batter was poured into a nine-inch prepared pan, and the spice mix was stirred into the remaining batter before it was poured into a second cake pan. After the cakes baked and cooled, each layer was cut in half horizontally. You’ll want to have the layers sliced and ready for the frosting. To make the frosting, sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa powder were brought to a boil and cooked while stirring until the temperature reached 232 degrees F which took about 30 minutes. Then, off the heat, vanilla and baking soda were added. With a hand mixer, the frosting was mixed for only about one minute. And, then you have to work very quickly. A spice cake layer was placed on a cake stand, and it was topped with frosting. A white cake layer was added followed by more frosting. You’ll feel as you spread the frosting that as soon as it’s spread thinly, it cools and sets. Quickly, quickly, the next two cake layers were added, and the top and sides were frosted. I spent too much time making swirls on top of the cake and didn’t realize the frosting on the sides was meanwhile setting up too much for the walnuts to stick. Lesson learned. 

Who knows where the birthday cake conversation will lead next year. Maybe we’ll circle back to plain chocolate. I do know that Kurt will pick his cake more quickly than I ever pick my own birthday cake. I can never easily decide what kind of cake I want, and my birthday is only a little over a month away. I should probably start thinking about this now. 


29 comments:

  1. A splendid cake! So irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very special cake for our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious combination of flavors! The only thing that'd make it even better, is to have it in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. Just... wow. I want someone to bake that cake for me. In fact, *I* may bake that cake for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious and nice to have someone else try it and warn us of the pitfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cake, Lisa! Happy Birthday to Kurt, a man of great taste... :-)

    I actually liked the way the sides of your cake had only a little covering with nuts, to me it looks better, more elegant, and composed.

    One day I'll be better at baking cakes, I keep telling me, but I don't practice enough to get better. It's a bit like golf ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, boy does that look good. Your husband is a lucky birthday guy!
    So clever about adding the spices to half of the batter. I like that kind of recipe. And no, I've never separated whites into separate bowls;)
    xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a great job decorating this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is just gorgeous Lisa! and oh my god it sounds so good, i think i just need to make this as a "oh yay march is almost here" cake, as my birthday is in july

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks delightful and I thought that effect on the sides was what you were going for to create a texture difference between the top and the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful looking cake. It looks really special. Love how the sides have been decorated xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa, this is an adorable cake! Perfect for birthday! Love the walnuts on the sides!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, Lisa. Too bad the frosting set so quickly, but thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful cake and a quick save on the walnuts, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. did i just imagine it, or are you saying that i should work fast when dealing with the frosting? duly noted. :) this sounds like a really tasty cake--thanks for finding the recipe and sharing some wisdom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never would have known about the walnuts on the sides of the cake, I think it is a stunner just as it is! What a delightful birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful cake Lisa, I especially like the crunch texture of the walnut with the creaminess of the chocolate...yum!
    Enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks too professional my friend, briliant :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cake Lisa! Love the textured pattern in the frosting on top. I don't think I'd be able to work with such a fast setting frosting though. I tend to get stressed out when frosting a cake a feeling a time pressure would put me over the edge :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My birthday is on Monday and I thought I had chosen a cake but you've shook things up with this! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is gorgeous. I love walnuts and with chocolate too? Pinning this lovely creation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That fudgey frosting looks amazing! I love walnuts with chocolate so I know I would gobble this cake up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I love it! I think white or spice layers is perfect IF the frosting is chocolate. How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, that is one gorgeous looking cake. The only thing wrong with it is that I don't have a slice of it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beaut! That cake would make any day feel extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://tonettejoycefoodfriendsfamily.wordpress.com/\

    Lovely and , just in case life gets busy, I'll get it i n early: I hope you have a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips