Friday, May 17, 2013

Espresso Cardamom Crumb Cakes

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the big bake sale that was being planned to raise funds for recovery efforts in West, Texas. I’m thrilled to report that it was a huge success, and we’re all so thankful to everyone who came out for the sale and made donations online. The total raised was over $19,000! As planned, I baked more of the Chocolate Chip and Cherry Scones, and I wanted to bring a second option to the sale as well. I was in a crumb cake kind of mood, and really, I’m always in the mood for a crumb topping. I found a great recipe in Baking: From My Home to Yours for a Cardamom Crumb Cake that has orange zest and espresso powder in the cake itself and in the crumb topping. I had to try it. Since I was baking for a bake sale, I made individual, small cakes in paper molds that are actually made for crumb cakes or so says the label. The little cakes were easy to slip into cellophane bags. I doubled the recipe in the book, lined up the paper cups on a baking sheet, and started filling them until the batter was gone. I ended up with ten little cakes. These paper molds are sturdier than a regular cupcake liner, but they didn’t hold their shape perfectly. What was perfect was the aroma of cardamom, espresso, and orange zest as the cakes baked. 

You start with the most important part—the crumbs. Flour, chopped toasted walnuts, sugar, orange zest, instant espresso powder and I always add a little extra, and cardamom were combined in a bowl. Butter was then worked into the flour mixture but not overworked. Big pieces of crumb topping are always a good thing. For the cake, flour, baking powder, and salt were combined with more cardamom and espresso powder. More orange zest was mixed with sugar, and Dorie suggests rubbing the sugar and orange zest together with your hands. It releases the oil from the zest and ensures the zest will be well-distributed in the batter. The wet ingredients included melted and cooled butter, eggs, whole milk, brewed coffee, and vanilla extract, and they were whisked together and then stirred into the dry ingredients. I scooped the batter into the crumb cake cups and topped each cup with crumb mixture. My little cakes baked for about 20 minutes. 

I only kept one cake at home to taste and soon wished I kept at least two. But, luckily, it’ll be quick and easy to mix up the batter and crumbs again. In the book, Dorie includes a tip about baking extra crumbs on a baking sheet and using them to top pots de creme or ice cream. That’s one more reason I’ll be making this again soon. 

I am a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program.

26 comments:

  1. These look so moist and crumbly!!! Perfect for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the successful fundraiser! That is fantastic! I've had this recipe saved for a while. i need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is a recipe I love! I've made this cake thousands of times... Your dainty cakes look delicious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post gave me a smile with the "I wish I had kept at least two" :-)

    I am pretty intrigued by the combination of cardamon and espresso - must be incredibly good!

    Congrats on the bake sale, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely addition to the bake sale, they look irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These must be so tasty with the unusual combination of ingredients. I have always like cakes with walnuts in them xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on such a nice amount of funds collected :) And you made me want to make this cake like straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Lisa for such a successful fund raising!
    The cardamom cakes look so cute in a smaller size and the must be delicious with these wonderful, unusual ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outstanding results for the bake sale, congratulations to all! The Espresso Cardamom Crumb Cakes are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations for the successful fun-raising, Lisa.
    The cake looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great about the fund raiser. Love the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking cakes! I love the flavor of cardamom, and it works well in both sweet and savory dishes. Great news about the fund raiser, too - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. crumb cakes are my weakness!
    love the cardamom addition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the bake sale and way to go on this recipe. I never think to use cardamom but it makes a delicious flavor and combined with the espresso, this sounds like a great crumb cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look like they'd go perfectly with the cup of coffee I'm drinking right now. I really adore anything with cardamom -- it's becoming one of my favorite spices. These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really great flavours here Lisa. I might need to make some to snack on tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow congratulations on the Bake Sale results! Stupendous! And wonderful, homey crumb cakes... the flavors sound wonderful and somehow warming and cozy. I have the cookbook but haven't baked from it for ages. Now I must!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm always game for something topped with crumbs, and i really enjoy the unique flavor of cardamom. these are pretty outstanding, lisa--congrats on the great results!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa, these sound lovely! Espresso powder and orange zest go well together.My niece,(who was my partner in a bakery/restaurant some time back),uses the combination in a biscotti that is heavenly.
    And , good for you , being part of the successful fundraiser.I feel for those involved.
    Sorry I really haven't been around or on my Food,Friends, Family blog for a while until last night, but I am glad to be back and also visiting you and others. Nice job!
    Tonette
    http://tonettejoycefoodfriendsfamily.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations, that's great news. These crumb cakes sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You deserve a huge pat on the back for all your efforts with the bake-sale. With crumb cakes as delightful as these, I can totally see why you won everyone over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't see a recipe??? I'm finding it's taking time to find when googled ( if that's what you want us to do.) It's so nice when a recipe is posted and we bakers can just follow it. Even just a direct link to the original recipe would be sooo helpful...just a thought! Still looking for this one! Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I've always made it a policy to not include copyrighted recipes from books unless I have a publisher's permission to reprint them. It's just something I've always done out of respect for cookbook authors and all the people involved in producing the books.

      Delete
  23. I understand your concerns but you perhaps should provide a link to the original so it's not so frustrating for us to look for the recipe...or, at least, me!... I just want to get the recipe and bake it. If I have to search all over I loose interest. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but the original is in a book. There isn't a way to link to it.

      Delete

Blogging tips