Friday, May 3, 2013

Inspired by Brazil

I had no idea how little I knew about Brazil. Obviously, I need to visit this country. Happily, I’ve learned a few new things during the Central Market Passaporte Brasil event which continues until May 7. For example, I was previously completely unfamiliar with Brazilian wine. Now, I know there’s a very active wine industry there making fantastic wines of all kinds. One of my favorites that I tasted was a sparkling wine from Casa Valduga which was crisp with acidity and perfect for pouring this summer. I also learned about Shrimp Moqueca which is a spicy stew with bell peppers, chiles, coconut milk, coconut shards, and dende oil but more on that in a moment. Throughout the two-week event, there are tastings, musical and dance performances, special products in the store, and classes focused on Brazilian food and wine. I attended the Inspired by Brazil class taught by Susan Feniger with a media pass and received a copy of her book Susan Feniger's Street Food. She demonstrated several Brazilian-inspired dishes while explaining knife techniques and cooking tips and teasing the cooking school staff. She said in her restaurants, her own staff often says “here comes Susan, quick add acid, add salt.” That’s because she wants every dish to taste like the best thing you’ve ever eaten. If a salad or sauce was made in advance and has been sitting, the flavor has a chance to dull. You need to taste it again before serving and perk it up. Everything served that night was full of exciting flavors with citrus, chiles, ginger, and cilantro. 

She started off by making a ginger and lemongrass tea with honey. Once steeped, it’s lovely by itself or makes a great base for a cocktail. And, then she realized everything we would be tasting that night would have ginger and/or cilantro in it. I was perfectly happy with that. Our first course was Ceviche with Mangos and Sweet Potatoes. Feniger’s preference is for ceviche to be about one-half fish and one-half other ingredients. The result is a nice mix of textures. Here, the ingredients were diced fish, lime juice, red onion, jalapeno, mango, diced and roasted sweet potato, aji amarillo, minced ginger, chopped cilantro, pickled red onion, and plantain chips for serving. You could fry long slices of plantain and pile the ceviche on top, or serve smaller chips for scooping. 

Next was a salad that could easily be a meal in itself, and it will when I make it at home. The Vegetable Salpicon was a mix of julienned carrots, chayote, and radishes, blanched green beans, red cabbage thinly sliced, chives, and cilantro leaves. All of those vegetables were tossed with a dressing made with garlic, ginger, lemongrass, jalapeno, white wine, and champagne vinegar which were simmered until reduced. Then, saffron was added and allowed to steep before mayonnaise was incorporated. Crispy, shoestring potatoes were tossed with the vegetables and dressing, and the salad was topped with more potato strings. 

And, then I was introduced to Shrimp Moqueca (photo at top). This lovely, spicy, shrimp stew can be dressed-up and garnished in various ways or kept simple as you wish. It’s started by cooking diced onion and bell pepper to which tomatoes and chiles are added. Fish stock and coconut milk are poured over the vegetables, and it’s left to simmer. Meanwhile, shrimp were cooked in a separate pan, and sliced green onions, lime juice, dende oil, and cilantro were added. Just before serving, the shrimp mixture was added to the simmering coconut milk mixture. To garnish, toasted coconut shards, diced lime supremes, and sweet-spicy little peppers like peppadews were placed on each serving. I’m so happy to have learned about this dish. 

The last course of the evening involved a few different parts. First, there were quartered, cooked artichokes topped with an oregano salsa verde and served with olive aioli. Dipping the salsa-dressed artichoke leaves into the aioli was delicious. And, that was served next to sliced grilled skirt steak that had been marinated with a thick, pureed mix of jalapenos, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and olive oil. Feniger suggested trying that marinade on fish before grilling, and I can’t wait to do that. The skirt steak was topped with a hearts of palm chimichurri which would also be great with fish. I’m not sure when I’ll get to Brazil, but in the meantime, I have several new dishes to make at home while dreaming about it. 

I am a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program.

20 comments:

  1. What gorgeous dishes! Brazilian cuisine is so unique and inspiring.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those artichokes sound and looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making me hungry for some good Brazilian food. My aunt is an amazing cook! My family is all in Brazil, so I've have quite a bit of the lovely food from there, tho I don't cook any of it. But I do love going to Brazilian friends houses to eat! And going to Estancia (at the Arboretum) for some good Brazilian BBQ!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Brazil, nor have I have Brazilian cuisine or wine. I would be so interested to try these dishes; there's so much interest in South American cuisine at the moment xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as you imagine, this post just made my heart melt with memories of my home country! Moqueca is a favorite of ours, and I make it all the time.

    Next time I find plaintains, I am going to try this exotic moqueca version that uses pieces of plaintains in it. I had it in Brazil a few years ago and was blown away by it - truly spectacular

    There's a lot to Brazilian cuisine, particularly food from Bahia (which includes moqueca). Very spicy, very flavorful.

    Glad you are enjoying this gastronomic tour of my country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just know about their brazillian nuts and cofee...
    if i had to choose one, i prefer the ceviche, nice touch with crispy brasilian banana....

    ReplyDelete
  7. No idea about Brazilian cuisine, but this looks so tempting that I want to give it a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know almost nothing about Brazil and its cuisine. Shocking ignorance on my part, I admit. Love these dishes! So flavorful. Really good post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never cooked with Chayote. I'd love to make a salad like that. I don't think I know much about Brazil either ... this all looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all look delicious. Seems like I have a lot more to learn about Brazilian's culture and cuisine as well....and it'll be a yummy adventure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is special when we can break out of our regular routine and find exciting new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I'm thinking about what I know about Brazilian cuisine and it's not much apart from the bbq! I think that I've got a lot to learn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a delicious meal, I have never cooked Brazilian cuisine before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to Brazil a couple of times and I love food and wine and people and country. Great post and food :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to go to Brazil. Everything looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love her recipes! Everything looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Brazilian food and I would love to start making some traditional recipes at home!Those dishes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post,Lisa.
    The Brazilian food looks stunning and colorful. I've been to Brazil and love the country ,its people, culture, music and its cuisine.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds like such an amazing class!! all that food sounds ridiculously delicious and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brazilian cuisine is new to me and I didn't know anything about it. These dishes all sound scrumptious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips