Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Shrimp Popovers

I’ve never visited Charleston, South Carolina, but after hearing the Lee brothers describe the fresh oysters and fish of the waterways, the variety of locally-grown fruits and vegetables, and the rich cooking traditions of their hometown, I hope to get there someday soon. Matt and Ted Lee recently taught a class at Central Market Cooking School, and I attended with a media pass and received a copy of their latest book The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen. I posted some photos from the class on my Facebook page. The book brings together classic, iconic Charleston dishes, with updates in some cases, and stories of their origin. I had never heard of the liqueur called Rock and Rye which is a Charleston favorite. It’s made with rye whiskey and candied oranges, and I can’t wait to make it this winter. Other classics include dishes like Deviled Crab, Four-Pepper Collards, Peach Upside-Down Skillet Cake, and Shrimp and Grits. During the class, the brothers explained how Shrimp and Grits has changed over the years. Originally, it was a simple dish of shrimp cooked in butter with salt and pepper and served over plain hominy grits. Over the years, tomato found its way into the sauce with the shrimp, and then one restaurant after the next added new and different ingredients to personalize it in various ways. The version they shared includes tomato and bacon but otherwise keeps the complexity in check. The grits are made with milk and butter but no added cheese. It’s an interesting journey to follow a dish backwards to where it began and note its changes over time. The Syllabub has an interesting history as well. In Charleston, it was originally served more like a drink and always with rosemary which grows prolifically there. The night of the class, we were served an updated, layered syllabub of whipped cream with Madeira and fresh strawberries. 

After the class, I started flipping through the book and the Shrimp Popovers immediately caught my eye. It’s a straightforward recipe for popovers, but a spoonful of shrimp butter is placed in each cup of batter before baking. They smell delicious as they bake and puff up to full height, and they come out of the oven light and airy with crispy edges all around. The full recipe of shrimp butter in the book makes a lot more than you need for the popovers, so I made a half portion of it and still had enough for two batches of popovers. The quantity I made included a half pound of shrimp which were briefly boiled in salted water and then cooled, shelled, and deveined. The cleaned shrimp were combined with four tablespoons of butter, a little salt, and a pinch of sugar in a food processor and pulsed until no lumps were visible. The shrimp butter should be refrigerated for about an hour before using, or it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. For the popovers, a cup of flour, one-half teaspoon of salt, a pinch of sugar, and I added a pinch of ground cayenne were sifted together before a cup of milk, two tablespoons of melted butter, and two eggs were whisked into the mix. The popover pan was heated in the oven for the last few minutes as it came to 450 degrees F. I brushed nine of the cups with melted butter before pouring in the batter to fill each cup about two-thirds full. A spoonful of shrimp butter was added to each cup, and the popovers baked for 20 minutes. 

The popovers are perfect when just cool enough to handle, but they can also be reheated for a few minutes before serving if baked in advance. And, there are several suggestions for using any extra shrimp butter like spreading it on toast or biscuits, stirring it into grits, or tossing it with pasta. Until I get a chance to visit Charleston in person, I’m happy to continue getting acquainted through the food in this book. 

I am a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program.

26 comments:

  1. Oh, marvelous! Those are very original.

    I would have loved to attend their class...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made popers before but never shrimp!! These sound delicious!!! what a great course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never made popovers...just had them in restaurants..yours with shrimp sounds and looks delicious Lisa.
    Hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love popovers and never thought of adding shrimp to mine - what a fantastic twist on a great recipe!


    loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made popovers with a mushroom paste lately, so delicious, I can imagine that a shrimp ones will taste amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lee brothers are great. I've never made popovers with shrimp - brilliant idea! Good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa this looks soo yummy.
    The addition of shrimps is a wonderful idea.
    Would have loved to attend this class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun class. I've never heard of shrimp turnovers but they look like they've turned out really well. I love how they've risen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a classy twist on popovers :)
    Delicious!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had a popover before...can you believe that?! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They really POPPED and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My new popover pan was delivered today! I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't made popovers-well I have made Yorkshire pudding which I think is similar. I like the idea of a shrimp flavoured one though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! Have never heard of these before but they look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. charleston is worth a visit, lisa--i hope you find your way there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I've never heard of these before but Lisa they look absolutely delicious!! I may have to whip these up, if I post them on my blog I'll be sure to credit you xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shrimp Popovers! I've never made popovers in my life but I sure would like to give them a try after seeing this recipe. Love the dash of history too Lisa, thanks for sharing...

    P.S. I don't know if I told you but, I'm back to blogging and luvin' it! Drop by if you get chance:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, is right! Stunning popovers and anything with shrimp is even better! These look and sound so fabulous, Lisa! Lucky to have gone to this class! You have made me want to invest in this cookbook. I hear so much about the food of Charleston, but have never been lucky enough to travel - or eat - there. This book may just be a first step.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These sound incredible, Lisa! I will definitely bookmark this!

    http://tonettejoycefoodfriendsfamily.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun class. I love how these pop up so much out of the tins.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been to Charleston many times and yes, the food there is terrific! We go frequently to their home tours.
    The class sounds a delight...how lucky you are to have taken it.
    Definitely going to try the shrimp popovers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love a great popover and the twist you put on these is amazing! What a great class to attend!! These are true winners!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Charleston is a really lovely and charming town. Hope you get to make the trip some day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love popovers to begin with. But with shrimp, too? Holy moly goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  25. May I have the recipe? Would you have it? These look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva: The recipe with the all the quantities is in the second paragraph. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Blogging tips