Monday, April 27, 2009

Sliced Spring Salad with Avocado and Feta

Have you read A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg yet? The book is moving and touching and funny, and I couldn’t put it down once I started it. Her stories describe times with her father, time spent in Paris, and meeting and falling for her now husband. All of which involved food in one way or another, and each story includes a recipe or two. And, about the food, I have several post-its marking pages of things I intend to make. The first of those to be tried was the sliced spring salad. I had some radishes and cilantro from Hands of the Earth Farm, and the weather’s been warm and muggy and just right for a crisp salad.

To begin the preparation, the red wine vinegar and Dijon vinaigrette was made in a small bowl. Then, there’s a description of the order in which the vegetables should be sliced based on the speed at which they oxidize. I should mention that the writing of the recipes is as well-done as that of the stories in that they are both clearly of the same voice. I won’t ruin it by quoting it here. The radishes were sliced first, then radicchio, followed by endive. Those were tossed in a large bowl with cilantro leaves and some of the vinaigrette to taste. Last, the avocado was sliced and placed on top, and the salad was sprinkled with French feta. It was quick and easy to assemble, and the most time-consuming part was probably picking the leaves off the cilantro stems.

It was a colorful, fresh combination that was perfect with some simply grilled chicken. The radicchio and endive were crunchy and flavorful, the radishes added a peppery note, and the buttery avocado was delicious with the cilantro. French feta is a little milder than Greek, and it worked very well here. As noted in the recipe, goat cheese would also be good. It was a winner that we’ll definitely have again. Up next from this book could be meatballs with pine nuts, or slow-roasted tomato pesto, or custard-filled corn bread, or caramelized cauliflower with salsa verde. So many post-its.


20 comments:

  1. What a delicious and refreshing salad! A combination of feta and avocado sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as we love feta and avo on their own, we assume they'd make a great pair. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the book in my amazon cart for a little while. I will get it soon. So glad everyone else has warm weather finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds great, a definite must-read. And the salad delicious-lovely combo of flavors and ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad caught my eye too. I wondered about the pairings, but glad to hear that it works as well as she says it does. Now if I could only find where I put that book...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i haven't read molly's book - although it's on my list! this salad sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so far behind on my blog reading (and writing) and now that I'm back yours is the first one I'm catching up on. Such an easy but scrumptious dish -- I'm very into avocado right now. And Dijon dressing goes with all. Looking forward to trying this soon -- I just bought some fresh feta from our local cheesemonger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That salad looks refreshing. I love avocados. Your looks so fresh. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely salad. My hubby would actually love this - he's likes all those ingredients!1

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to have that for my lunch tomorrow! what a fresh colorful salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been eating salads 1-2 times a day and needed a new idea. Avocados are my favorite and this looks great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liza, I just had half avocado left last night, will make your salad today, we have some local radishes here. Thanks for your recipe, great idea : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. there's just something endlessly appealing to me about the avocado, so much so that even reading the word excites me. glorious spring salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A delicious salad! Refreshing and tasty!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. The salad sounds delicious although I have yet to try to combo of feta and avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pictures. Feta makes everything so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How perfect for a hot day?

    I'd have to hold the cilantro of course, but otherwise YUM!.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a combo of flavors with the radish, radicchio, and feta! It must have been an explosion for your tastebuds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that is a beautiful salad! I love the pairing of avocado and feta cheese. It seems that each ingredient is meant to provide contrasting textures, colors and flavors, all on one plate. I look forward to seeing what else you create from this book (as well as checking it out myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the combination of the colors, perfect spring salad, I can get all these ingredients in Switzerland : )

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips