Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ginger Pear Crumble Slice and Ginger Crunch Slice

It’s been a month since we were on vacation. I don’t know where that month went, but in early September I was lounging by a sparkling pool with the hot, bright sun in my face, lazily reading Donna Hay magazine issue 51 to be exact. I cut several pages from that issue and I’ll be mentioning some other dishes soon, but first I have to tell you about these cookie squares. They’re from an article about classic bars, or slices, ranging from lemon to chocolate peppermint, and they all looked delicious. What you see here are the first two I tried which were the filled crumble slice and the ginger crunch slice. In the article, the crumble slice was made with a fresh rhubarb filling. Rhubarb season is long gone here in the northern hemisphere, so I used preserves instead. These weren’t just any preserves though. My friend Stephanie has started a new business called Confituras selling her amazing preserves, jams, pickles, and all manner of confitures. Everything is made with locally sourced ingredients, and if you can’t make it to the farmers’ markets or local shops where jars are sold, you can order online. Her lovely ginger pear preserves were delicious in these crumble bars.

The cookie base was made with sugar, flour, baking powder, egg and melted butter. It was pressed into a pan and baked until golden. I spread twelve ounces of ginger pear preserves over the base and then added the crumble topping made by rubbing cold butter into flour and sugar with your fingertips. It went back into the oven for another 40 minutes. These were rich, little squares, and the bits of pear with ginger flavor in the preserves made a nice fruit layer in the middle.

The second cookie bar, and the one shown below, was called ginger crunch. The base for this one was made more like a pastry crust. Cold butter was pulsed in a food processor into a mixture of flour, baking powder, sugar, and ground ginger until crumbly, and then that combination was pressed into a baking pan and baked for about 30 minutes. Once cool, it was topped with a thick glaze made by melting butter with honey and more ground ginger, and then whisking in confectioners’ sugar. I actually ran out of ground ginger and only had about a teaspoon to use rather than the full one and a half tablespoons suggested for the glaze, so I used a little grated, fresh ginger as well. These squares were crunchier than the crumble bars, and the glaze was rich and buttery and fragrant with ginger. Both of these cookie squares are classics for a reason. They're easy to bake and to serve, and I know I'll be making them both again.



39 comments:

  1. You had me at ginger...then you added the pear and now I'm headed toward the kitchen to get baking! I adore desserts with anything ginger. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love slices/bars! Those are irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bars are classic! Ginger and pear are such a perfect pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh.... the ginger ones look like a variation of the Australian slice bars. Love this type of dessert and have bookmarked this page - can't wait to make both of these!!!

    I was doing fine until I hit the last picture ... am now wiping the drool off my computer screen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound like the perfect combination of flavors! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, these both sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, pear and ginger. These sound divine and have me craving tea time. I could easily while a way the afternoon nibbling on these goodies and sipping my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh a ginger pear preserve sounds divine! Why don't we see this combination more? It sounds utterly enchanting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They both sound wonderful. Just wish you posted recipes too :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both bars look irresistible! I love especially the 2nd one with that creamy smooth topping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Avanika: I did link to the Donna Hay site, but just noticed the recipes for these two cookie bars weren't found there. So, I found the recipe for the ginger crunch slice on the New Zealand Herald site and linked to it. A similar recipe for the crumble slice is also on that site. That one is slightly different from the version that was in the magazine but looks very much like it. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both bars look very very good. I'm particularly intrigued by the second version with the ginger glaze, because I have never had a dessert bar with such a spicy topping. I'll visit Confituras website, I bet Stephanie makes some amazing jams!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First fish sticks...now the dessert after the fish sticks. :) I'm a happy girl right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some mega beautiful bars! I'm in love!!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw the ginger crunch on TasteSpotting and had to know what was in that glaze! I just happen to be picking up a new supply of raw honey this week. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  16. What sophisticated bars! Your friend's products sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, i love it!! another for the to-try pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those ginger bars look like a dream, especially for a ginger addict like myself!

    And those preserves - lovely. All the better because you know they are good quality!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both look scrumptious. How do you get such nice clean cuts?

    ReplyDelete
  20. An amazing combination of pear and ginger, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tip- I have several jars of half eaten preserves that would be perfect to use up in bars. My Aunt plies me with preserves every year and I never make it through all the jars. Besides, using them up will make room to try out some of Confitura's creations. I've got to look her up now that she's at the Triangle market.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel like having a bite! First time here, have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had to read the title a few times before I got it - quite the tongue-twister - but I'd take a large square of each (or either) and a cup of tea, please. Fabulous combination of flavors. We just made a pear torta with honey the other day (we wont be posting it because our baking skills remain for our eyes only!) and I was amazed at how such a subtle fragrance as pear becomes more powerful when cooked, so that it infused the whole thing. I'm sure these are both awesome

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear, when I first read your post and you said it had been a month since your early Sept vacay I though what is she talking about...it hasn't been a month since early Sept. Actually, it has been. wow. Time is really flying by.

    I love bar cookies and my mother in law is sending over jars of lingonberry jam...I haven't even finished all of the jars from last summer so I need to get rid of a few jars quick!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Donna Hay recipes, and love her magazine. I wish it was easy to come by here in the UK. These little deserts look sooooo delicious and are the perfect autumnal treats.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had something similar to this in Spain. Was surprised I did not venture into the bakeries more, too hooked on the crescents!

    We always have some exotic preserves hanging out, so I will look and make these now that I have my kitchen back.

    Hope you had a nice vacation too! I also see you have been a bad girl and have me going right to your next post...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great flavours and textures! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both bars look insanely good! I like the idea of a ginger and pear flavor combo. I can't decide which I like better!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love ginger, I think those second bars are calling my names!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My husband would seriously lose his mind if I made these. He loves ginger more than any other dessert flavor and they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I practically feel like you're dedicating this post to me, what with all the ginger -- my fave ingredient! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow those bars are irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooh, the combination of ginger and pear is hard to resist! Those bars look amazing. I will have to check out confituras - thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Both sound delicious but love the idea of the glaze on top.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my goodness! These are so pretty and sound completely delicious, can't wait to try my hand at them :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pear and ginger is heaven! I need to do a combo of these two soon.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ooooh, these both look amazing! LOVE ginger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. as i've always been a wee bit obsessed with cinnamon, i only recently began to appreciate other spices. ginger is creeping up on my list of favorites, and i'd no doubt enjoy both of these bars very much!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips