Thursday, September 30, 2010

Halibut Fish Sticks with Dill-Caper Tartar Sauce

I hadn’t eaten a fish stick in years. As a kid, I always preferred fish sticks to burgers. In fact, that was about the only school cafeteria lunch item I ever ate, but I never touched the tartar sauce. I don't even know if kids still like fish sticks these days. At some point they disappeared from my diet. I assume that disappearance happened right about the time I was old enough to realize a re-heated, frozen, breaded piece of white fish left something to be desired in flavor, and I have no idea when it was I changed my mind about tartar sauce. So, when I saw this grown-up version of fish sticks with fresh halibut and a pickly, herby, homemade tartar sauce in the June Bon Appetit, I had to try it. I’m pretty sure this version could convince any adult to see fish sticks in a new light. The sticks were pan sauteed rather than deep fried, so there’s no heavy, greasiness about them, and the panko coating made them as crispy as can be.

The tartar sauce came together with mayonnaise, chopped fresh dill, capers, chopped fresh chives, and finely chopped cornichons. Maybe I would have liked tartar sauce all along if it had always been made like this. For the fish sticks, fresh halibut was cut into short, narrow pieces and seasoned. Then, it was coated in egg and dredged in panko breadcrumbs. It cooked quickly in a nonstick skillet with just a tablespoon and a half of oil. It was a quick meal and a nostalgic one as well.

Unlike the ones that came out of a box, these fish sticks were light, crunchy, and fresh-tasting. The tartar sauce was rich and tangy and addictive. I can’t remember what side dish the school cafeteria used to serve with their fish sticks, but it might have been tater tots. We enjoyed these with salad instead, and they surpassed any memory I had of fish sticks. I think they've found their way back into my diet for the foreseeable future.


35 comments:

  1. You are making me SO HUNGRY today! These look sooo good (and they're actually something my kids would eat, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made homemade fish sticks and you're right they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this recipe too and it was a hit in our household as well - you have some wonderful recipes on your blog and I am having a great time discovering them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is delicious! A perfect combo, yummy!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you cook those fish sticks/fingers, cos I don't need to deep fry them. Cool! Let me get my panko crumbs and I may try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not big on tartar but I have learned to like it a bit - these fish sticks on the other hand look top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fish and tartar sauce..yours look delicious with the capers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is always a big hit with us too, with lashings of homemade tartare sauce, can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this recipe saved for a while. I really need to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I am hungry with this post. I love tartar sauce and fish sticks. Whenever my husband and I go on a date, I always request for some fish sticks for dinner. I just love the combination of the two. Great share :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't even remember the last time I had a fish stick. Looks like I ought to refresh my taste buds with your modern-day version. I like that they are sauteed in a pan, rather than cooked in a vat of oil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 100% going to try it out this week. Thanks. . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like fish sticks and tartar is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it how you took something as basic as fish sticks and turned them into something so special. THis looks delish!
    Have a fabulous weekend dahhhhhhling!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't had fish sticks either and they are actually delicious...especially with a great accompanying suace like yours...it is proabbaly a god idea taking this recipe and making some for the freezer...that delicious sauce...mmm!
    Ronelle x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure would like to try these. Can regular breadcrumbs be used, as I don't think I can find any Japanese panko breadcrumbs?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to love it when my parents when out to dinner with friends, because my brother and I always used to get to have fish sticks -- but these look waaay better than the ones that I remember. The dill-caper sauce sounds great, too (and much better than my childhood dip, Heinz ketchup).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ivy: Yes, regular breadcrumbs will work fine. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum, Lisa! And I really like the idea of capers in the tartar sauce. Have never done that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. man i don't think I've had fish sticks since school lunch either! And they were no where NEAR as scrumptious looking as this dolled up version! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't had fish sticks in a long time too! ahh the good old days..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't have fish sticks as a child, and has eaten just once as an adult as it's not very common here. But it sounds like a perfect quick lunch. And I can dip anything to this tartar sauce, it's so appetizing with fresh dill.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the idea of a grown up version of the fish stick. It sound delicious! Maybe Jamie Oliver will put your version into school lunches? Long live the fish stick! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have 10 obs of salmon in my freezer so I am thinking this would works for salmon too:D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have you tried making tartar sauce with from-scratch mayo? It's even better.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your tartar sauce with dill and capers really sounds delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alright, I have to say you caused me to develop a serious craving. These sticks just sound amazing. What a delicious treat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can I just say that this has brought back so many childhood memories for me? Thanks Lisa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Grown up fish sticks indeed - I would love to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved them too, and the story- was me indeed as well. I think it was the breading, I ate many things fried, lol

    I posted another comment, but it disappeared...so much writing went into it, lol, oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh yeah, now I remember- You have dredged up my desire to make some this week, a little cooking humor!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These fish sticks looks so yummy, you made me hungry! I wanna have some and dip them into the tartar sauce :) My kids like the frozen fish sticks, I need to try making the fresh ones like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I saw this on Photograzing a couple of hours ago. Hmm. I just happened to have a nice, thick, square piece of fish. Hmm. It's cod this time, but so what. I make tarter sauce a bit differently and just happen to have some on hand. So what. Panko, egg and oil are staples. Hmm. Damn good meal. THanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lisa! This is such a great appetizer dish or a fun light meal! Would you try making the dipping sauce with greek yogurt to make it lighter? I find that greek yogurt and dill complement eachother well!

    I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips