Monday, November 1, 2010

Black Pepper Tofu

Over the last few months, I repeatedly heard great things about the new book Plenty by Yottam Ottolenghi. Then, I read an issue of Delicious magazine in which there was a story about the book with six recipes. Well, after that, I could wait no longer. I finally ordered my copy of the book, read it, and quickly realized I’d probably end up cooking everything in it. Seriously, every single thing looks great. The sweet potato cakes, mushroom ragu with poached duck egg, and crusted pumpkin wedges with sour cream will all be tried soon. First up, though, I made the black pepper tofu because that had caught my eye when I saw it in Delicious. This is a spicy, big-flavored kind of dish with great balance. When Kurt saw the sauce coming together in a saute pan, he said it looked like it was going to be really hot and spicy. It did look that way with the red chiles and generous amount of black pepper. But, the chiles used were mild, and the black pepper heat was tempered by the kecap manis, or sweet soy sauce, and some sugar. The result was a tangy, interesting mix of flavors enveloping crispy tofu chunks.

I’m not sure why, but the version of the recipe in Delicious is slightly different from that in the book. The quantities of ginger and the different soy sauces are just a little more or less, but I don’t think those slight changes would even be noticeable in the finished dish. To start, drained tofu was cut into chunks, coated with corn starch, and fried in hot oil. I’ve finally learned a better way to fry tofu. Rather than heating oil in a wide saute pan and adding tofu only to watch it pop and splatter and cause oil to end up all over my stovetop, countertop, and floor, I now use a small saucepan instead. Heat an inch or so of oil in the saucepan, and the sides will be high enough to contain the splattering business. You’ll need to fry in batches so as not to overcrowd, but you’ll use less oil and spend less time cleaning. The fried tofu chunks were left to drain on paper towels while the sauce was made. Now, this was destined to be delicious because making the sauce began with melting a good bit of butter in a large saute pan. To the melted butter, chopped shallots, red chiles, garlic, and ginger were added. It instantly smelled amazing. Next, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and kecap manis were added. I learned from The Perfect Pantry that I could make kecap manis by simmering soy sauce with molasses until thick which I did. Then, sugar and lots of coarsely ground black pepper were added, and the tofu was stirred into the sauce with big pieces of green onions.

The flavor of the sauce was bold and exciting, and the tofu somehow magically remained crunchy and firm on the surface even though it had been warmed in the sauce. It really was not a tongue burning kind of hot sauce. The spiciness was there, and the black pepper was prevalent, but the sauce brought together an interesting mix of the whole flavor spectrum. I'm already deciding what to make from the book next, and I may not even bother finding room for it on a shelf since it’ll be spending most of its time in the kitchen.



35 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this looks amazing! I'm going to use your saucepan trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a tofu fan, but I sure love the way you've done this...and if the tofu is still crunchy, all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great addition to my repertoire of tofu recipes! I'll just have to convince my fiance it's not spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even like tofu, and this picture is making my mouth water! Maybe I've just never had good tofu? Can't wait to hear more about this great cookbook. - S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I used a shallow pan to fry some fish sticks some time ago and it got my pan very messy :( ..love your thick black pepper sauce. Must be quite a flavor bomb over the tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tofu and the fried tofu is so good with such a sauce . I'll make it and let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa.... please, I beg you.... Don't make me order yet another cookbook.... (I do have it in my wish list, and your post is making me consider "the move" to the shopping basket!)

    I never cook tofu, because my husband doesn't care for it, but I bet this dish would be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh lisa...I love this peppery tofu! Looks irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard a lot about the book too! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. The tofu looks really good! and I didn't know kecap manis can be made with soy sauce and molasses. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also not a tofu fan, but this, along with the other recipes you mentioned, has my interest. This tofu looks really good! Might have to get the cookbook as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is no surprise to you, but I LOVE that book. So glad you bought it and now can't wait to see what delicious things you make out of it. I have been eying that recipe every since I got the book last spring. I love your frying tofu tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Lisa, this looks wonderful! I was a vegetarian for a while and I never really found any tofu recipes I was crazy about. I wish I had discovered this back then! But I'd still eat it now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh...no...you just convinced ME too, to purchase that book. My hand is already clicking over to Amazon. But seriously? Sweet potato cakes, mushroom ragu with poached duck egg, and crusted pumpkin wedges?! How can you say no to that? The black pepper tofu has me, a tofu-hater, converted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm bookmarking this recipe to try. And, of course, I've got to buy the book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. am i missing something? where is the recipe? this looks fantastic, by the way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Franko: Thank you! No, you didn't miss anything. I don't re-print copyrighted recipes from books. I include recipes when they are my own or when I have made them my own through adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Ottolenghi books, and this looks marvellous. Hot and exciting, it takes tofu to a new level Lisa! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ok, thanks lisa! i thought i was just blind : ) that makes sense, though. thanks for pointing out such a yummy use for tofu! i've been a vegetarian for decades, but i've somehow never heard of this one. always nice to find new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the recipe review- I am always looking for new cookbooks and will definitely be checking this one out...hmmm.. maybe we should be doing a post on adding bookshelves....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a strange love hate relationship with Tofu, hate the way so many recipes & ideas turn out to be 'not so much' & yet love experimenting with it because every now'n & then you hit a winner & remember why you love the stuff. This book sounds a keeper, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What wonderful suggestions for both the book and the recipe. I've been eating tons of tofu and spicy food lately. Perfect combo! Thank you! I think tofu is on the menu tonight, for sure. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a terrific way to prepare tofu - excellent flavors and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, at first glance I thought these were Asian sparerib niblets. Gawd, to make tofu look that tantalizing and savory is pretty amazing. I've got to try a dish of this with some steamed rice. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, this might be my most favorite recipe of the day, or the week, or maybe the year! I really hope I can talk my boy friend into making this for me.....I don't think it will be too difficult after showing him your photos! Thank you for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've heard so many good things about this book that I think after I finish cooking my way through Michael Symon's Live to Cook, I'm going to conquer Plenty. mainly because of recipes like this that look absolutely rife with flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this cookbook, too, and the first one, Ottolenghi. Haven't made the black pepper tofu --but now that I know it turns out crispy, it'll be on my list, too. I love the tip about using a saucepan to fry up the tofu -- like you, it always creates such a mess, and sticks to my wok, too. But maybe I need a new wok?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Playing serious catch up here - this tofu sounds amazing, and i would not call myself a tofu girl. I'm going to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Lisa this is so my kind of dish. I MUST make this. Love the peppery sauce. I bet this is going to be good with chicken or paneer too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks like a really nice way to eat tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I bet any tofu haters would change their minds after trying this recipe. Great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, this is so on my list to make and will add the book to my Christmas 'wish list'!

    Looks so yummy, I am drooling and just ordered Chinese! LOL seriously!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips