Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lucinda Scala Quinn, What Are You Reading?

Lucinda Scala Quinn is the Executive Director of Food and Entertaining at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. She writes a column for Living magazine, she hosts the weekly food radio show EatDrink, she's a co-host on EveryDay Food on PBS, and her new show Mad Hungry is on weekdays on the Hallmark Channel. I had the opportunity to speak with her by telephone earlier this week and ask some questions about her career, her books, and family holiday traditions.

-How long have you been with MSLO?-

I started with the company in 2001 in the television department. I've worked with the magazine and EveryDay Food, and eventually arrived in my current role.

-Your first book in 1997 was Jamaican Cooking followed by Lucinda's Authentic Jamaican Kitchen in 2006. What inspired you to write about Jamaican cooking?-

I spent a lot of time there as a child with my family and have so many great memories from Jamaica that I wanted to write about it. I started writing the book ten years before it was published, and the topic wasn't represented at the time. The original book included 150 recipes. In 2006, it was revisited. An abridged version with just 50 recipes was created with new photos and that was Lucinda's Authentic Jamaican Kitchen.

-In your book Mad Hungry, you mention that parents should "pay as much attention to your child's eating habits as you do to their grades." Can you talk about that and explain how you've done that with your family?-

I really believe wellness starts with what you put in your body. We have concerns about health but don't always think so much about what we eat. This is just as important as all the other issues we worry about when raising our children. My goal was to raise our children to be good eaters and then good cooks.

-Your family must look forward to some great food traditions each year at this time. Can you share some of your family's favorite things you cook for the holidays?-

They really like these mini meatball sandwiches I make. My mother used to make them on Christmas Eve, and now I make them at holiday time. I always make them in advance and have them frozen for easy meals. I also make eggnog on the night when we decorate our tree. On Christmas Eve, I honor the Italian side of my family with Italian food, and on Christmas Day, I make English food in honor of the other side of my family. I do like to indulge in special ingredients for the holidays, but it's mostly about being all together.

-What's next for you? Will there be a Mad Hungry, Two book? And, can you share what's coming up on the Mad Hungry show?-

I am actually working on a second book under the Mad Hungry title. It should be released in the fall of 2012. On the Mad Hungry show, we're working on some less heavy dishes for January, and then we'll cover topics like the freezer is your friend. We're already looking forward to shows for the next holidays like Valentine's Day and Easter. There are always great tips and so many ideas to share.

-And, of course, while talking with Lucinda, I also had to ask what are you reading?-

Lucinda:

I read an advance copy of Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton from New York's Prune. It's an edible memoir with fantastic food writing. She's a passionate cook with authentic experience, and she has an extraordinary way with words.









Another book I really enjoyed was Arabesque by Claudia Roden. It's about an area of the world where the food is delicious, and it's full of great photos. Roden always does an incredible job of covering cooking of the Middle East. She's a food writing mentor of mine.






Thank you for participating, Lucinda. Check back to see who answers the question next time and what other books are recommended.

Previous WAYR posts:
Jaden Hair
Michael Ruhlman
Monica Bhide
Michael Natkin
Sara Roahen
Andrea Nguyen
David Lebovitz
Rick Bayless
Tara Austen Weaver
Mollie Katzen
Deborah Madison
Soup Peddler
Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan
Robb Walsh
Kim Severson
David Leite
Dan Lepard
Carolyn Jung
Joan Nathan
Melissa Clark
Dianne Jacob
Zoƫ Francois
Yotam Ottolenghi


10 comments:

  1. I love Claudia Roden's book and use it a lot!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book Arabesque. Its a great book :D
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Claudia Roden's book as well as many others you mentioned.

    Nisrine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simple adore Prune, Lisa. Have already pre-ordered Gabrielle's book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read about Blood Bones and Butter and was absolutely intrigued. Now I need to look further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both books sound absolutely wonderful! Love Claudia Roden and this book looks like one I must have. And as I am on a food memoir streak, well, I'd love to read the other as well. Great interview and I agree, all around wellness whether physical or psychological begins on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who's a fan of Claudia Roden is a fan of mine! Have to check out these other books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claudia Roden needs no introduction, however I am intrigued by the first book she mentions. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting books and writers. Thanks for introducing them to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto for me..... Claudia Roden is wonderful, nice intro to some others there too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips