Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Savory Granola with Roasted Beets and Carrots

I never make granola the same way twice. I love the recipe with olive oil and maple syrup from the NY Times. It’s great with plain yogurt. Every time I make it, I use different nuts or dried fruit depending on what I have in the kitchen that day. Almonds and dried cranberries is one favorite variation. However, despite the use of olive oil in that recipe, I would never in a million years have thought to take the entire thing in a savory direction. When I saw a savory granola in Saveur’s Chef’s 100, that was something I had to try. Daniel Humm of Eleven Madison Park in New York makes a savory granola that’s served on a tomato salad with mozzarella ice cream and is also used in a beet salad. He started by using puffed rice as a way to add texture to different dishes, and from there he added other flavors to the puffed rice until it seemed to become a savory granola. I loved the idea of it and of adding something grainy and crunchy to dressed, roasted beets. As with any granola, it’s very easy to mix and match ingredients to make use of what’s available and to bring in whatever flavors you wish, and my version ended up a little different from the recipe in the magazine.

First, if we’re calling this granola, I needed some oats to be included. I used half the suggested quantity of puffed rice and then an equal amount of oats. The original recipe suggests basil leaves, but I don’t have basil plants yet this year, so I used parsley leaves instead. Also, I did have some pine nuts in the freezer but not quite enough, so I threw in some pepitas as well. To begin, the parsley leaves were fried in canola oil and then left to drain and cool. The puffed rice, which is not sweetened, oats, pine nuts, pepitas, some finely grated parmesan, minced garlic, salt, and piment d’espelette were combined, and the fried parsley leaves were added. Honey was melted and added as a binder, and I also added a little olive oil to the mixture before it was spread on a baking sheet and popped into a 250 degree F oven for about 40 minutes.

The parmesan and garlic make this granola unmistakably savory, and the honey and piment d’espelette give it a sweet-heat personality. But, the crunch is what this is all about. Adding that contrasting texture to roasted beets and carrots topped with a shallot vinaigrette was a fun twist. As soon as I have basil plants with lots of leaves, I want to try this again. A basil-scented, savory granola sprinkled over balsamic-drizzled, sun-ripened tomatoes is in my future.



24 comments:

  1. Were these rolled oats or steel cut oats? Enquiring minds wish to know because enquiring minds think this sounds amazing and must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very original! I really like that idea. Yummy!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten: I used rolled oats. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an intriguing combination! I like the different textures of the toasted nuts oats and puffed rice. The different bright colors are also tantalizing to the eye. I also think this will be a delicious with basil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done. It reminds me of one of the salads at Ottolenghi.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I would also never have thought of a savory granola but it looks delicious! Would love to try that too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been very curious about savory granola for a long while, and this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon: I used it with beets, and you're interested in it anyway--great news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice recipe. I am sure gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing and I can already imagine it!!! I saw that recipe as well and have it bookmarked to try so it was wonderful to read your experience with it. Can't wait to try it!!
    I love the idea of adding it to fresh tomatoes and the basil... oh my!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have never made granola before, neither sweet or savory but it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would never have thought of pairing granola with beets and carrots. Very unique. i also like how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds incredible! granola with beets and carrots.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you came up with an interesting combo. And I love that you sprinkled it over beets and carrots. I've never thought to mix the two veggies but I'm sure they're very complimentary. Love the last closeup shot of those gorgeous beets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun idea! I never would have thought to use granola in a savory dish, but it looks like it really works!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally love your spin on savory granola! Oh and that added crunch to the tenderness of beets and carrots! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. a savory granola, I love it!! with beets oh I know I would enjoy this, a perfect idea, so many options for savory.
    thanks for sharing
    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  18. So creative! I love the idea of a savory granola. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. it would go against everything i know about you if i learned you had a granola recipe that you replicated each time. :)
    this is SO unique, and a terrific idea. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that *sounds* so out there, but looks so darn good.... so naturally I've just got to try this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can so see how this can go savoury you know! It sounds absolutely delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Savoury granola, even better ;) I'm totally sold, must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want a vat of that just to snack on. What a great salad topper! For a while, I was buying something similar (but I'm sure not nearly as good) and just loved the salty crunchy bite with my greens. I'm totally motivated to make my own now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Savory granola?!? Love it, what a cool idea, and delicious salad - yum!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips