Monday, December 26, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

I promised to show some holiday cookies, so on with the cookie parade. This is another one from the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies publication from last year, and the recipe is available online. The flavors in these chocolate peppermint cookies are very similar to the chocolate mint sandwich cookies I mentioned back in March. But, I think these have a much more festive look. Here, peppermint extract is added to the chocolate cookie dough rather than the white chocolate as in the sandwich cookies, and each cookie is completely covered in melted white chocolate. Broken candy canes decorate the tops. The cookie dough was rolled out and cut into circles, but it would have worked just as well to form the dough into two logs and slice cookies from them. I’ve learned that regardless of whether the mint flavor is added to the chocolate cookie dough or the white chocolate and whether the white chocolate is sandwiched between cookies or used to completely cover them, this is a flavor combination that’s well-received.

The cookie dough was started by sifting together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of a mixer, butter and sugar were creamed until pale and fluffy. One egg and one egg yolk were added followed by the peppermint extract. The flour mixture was slowly added, and then the dough was divided and formed into two disks which were covered with plastic wrap and chilled for at least an hour. This is a sticky dough, so it’s best to roll it out between pieces of parchment paper. It may also need to be chilled before cutting rounds. Once all the cookies were cut, they were placed on baking sheets and chilled again for 15 minutes before going into the oven. After baking and cooling, each cookie was dipped in melted white chocolate and topped with crushed candy cane pieces.

They have a snowy, pretty look and fresh, mint flavor. The broken candy cane pieces on top of each cookie add visual appeal and also make the cookies more easily stackable without sticking to each other. I might go back to the sandwich cookie version when it’s not the holiday season, but this mix of flavors is a winner any time.



22 comments:

  1. these look great - I wish I had a dozen

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look so dainty and elegant, perfect Christmas cookies. happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can never really have too many pepperminty chocolate cookie recipes, in my opinion! I SO want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky me - I'm still baking Christmas-gift cookies for all the aunts, uncles and cousins that I couldn't cover before the 25th. I need something different & special to make up for my tardiness and these chocolate peppermint cookies fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for sharing the link! 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so pretty Lisa. Peppermint and chocolate is a sure-fire win in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking cookies, Lisa!

    Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow. These look so, so good. Can they be shipped? Thank you! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to use a bag of peppermint soon, before it starts melting. Hey, it's Florida after all ;)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were delicious! I wish I had picked up a dozen but I was nice and only took one. Now I regret it. Surprisingly, now that all the obligatory baking is done, I'm still in the mood to make cookies. I may have to whip up a batch of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Look at these cookies. These guys are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love how these are dipped! i didnt do any christmas baking this year (!!!)...so maybe these will be some nye cookies?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am never a fan of peppermint but since you have chocolate in there, I'll take it! :p

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect Christmas idea Lisa! They look wonderfully festive :) And I hope you all had a very Merry christmas and a very Happy New Year coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what lovely little slices of holiday tastiness! the innards are great, but it's the coating that secures my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these. I am going to snap up the candy cans at the shops now they are cheap and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm, peppermint and chocolate are one of my favorite combos and these are just so pretty!

    Do you have any chocolate dipping tricks? I don't think mine would nearly as pretty as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look like THE perfect holiday cookie. Gorgeous and infused with the flavors of the season that nobody can resist. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful cookies!

    The happiest of a New Year to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so sweet Lisa! I really love chocolate and mint as a combo. I made a similar cookie a few weeks ago but with chocolate mint bars. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips