Saturday, June 30, 2012

Slow Roasted Salmon with Cherry Tomatoes and Farro

Fresh, wild salmon is my chateaubriand or prime rib or whatever meat lovers think of as the pinnacle of protein. I’ve read a lot about salmon fishing and the sustainability standards that protect future populations of wild salmon, and I’ll include a list of a few of those books below. What I’ve learned is that one of the best things consumers can do is to support fisheries that operate sustainably. I get excited for the start of wild salmon season and to see the first-of-the-season salmon at our fish counters in May. This year, I was contacted by the Copper River/Prince William Sound Marketing Association and asked to help spread the word about fresh, wild, Copper River Salmon and where it’s available. I was happy to do so, and I was thrilled to receive some Copper River King salmon. On Facebook, there’s an app for locating and tagging locations of Copper River Salmon at both stores and restaurants. And, there are links to recipes and information about the current fishing season. Some info about King salmon: the season is a little shorter than that of Sockeye since it ends in June rather than August, and Kings are higher in omega-3 fatty acids than any other type of salmon. That gives the fish a buttery richness and great flavor. I prefer to cook it just enough to leave the very middle a good, dark, reddish pink, and a great way to do that is by slow roasting. In the June issue of Bon Appetit, there was a dish that matched just how I wanted to cook this King salmon. Some big pieces of salmon were roasted at a low temperature in olive oil with herbs and cherry tomatoes. Since the fish cooks slowly this way, you can easily check it from time to time to see how it’s progressing. The salmon was served with a yogurt sauce with herbs and lemon zest. In the magazine, there was a couscous dish with tomatoes to go with the salmon, but I changed it a little. I used farro instead and added some fresh, local corn along with cherry tomatoes and herbs.

I used two big pieces of King salmon, and they were set in a roasting dish on a layer of herbs including basil, thyme, oregano, and chives. There was olive oil beneath the herbs, and more was drizzled over the salmon. The salmon was seasoned, and cherry tomatoes were added to the pan before it went into 325 degree F oven. Depending on the thickness of the fish and the desired doneness, it could take from 20 to 35 minutes to roast. Meanwhile, I simmered farro in water and sauteed kernals cut from a few ears of corn in melted butter. More cherry tomatoes were halved and tossed with chopped parsley, olive oil, za’atar, and salt. The farro was drained and then topped with the marinated tomatoes and sauteed corn, more olive oil was added, and the mix was tossed to combine. I cut servings of the roasted salmon and served them on mounds of farro topped with yogurt herb sauce.

I hope that top photo shows the texture of the salmon well enough. I’ve already called it buttery, and that’s the best word for it. With tomatoes and fresh corn, this meal says summer. I don’t have a good photo of how the leftovers were used, but I can highly recommend making panini with flaked pieces of roasted salmon, some arugula leaves, and lemon-caper-mayonnaise. Enjoy the wild salmon season while it’s here, and check back for more salmon dishes coming soon.

Salmon-related reading list:

Red Summer: The Danger and Madness of Commercial Salmon Fishing in Alaska
Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food
For Cod and Country: Simple, Delicious, Sustainable Cooking

I am a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program.

27 comments:

  1. This is so lovely and summery. I just wish I could turn on my oven. Saving the idea for when the weather cools down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful looking dish that has been plated so well. I love all the colours and textures. What a wonderful meal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous looking salmon dish with cherry tomatoes and farro. Fresh, healthy, flavourful and delectable...your photos say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this recipe in that issue and it looked sooo good - although I think you've found a way to make it look even better. It's a wonderful thing when healthy and delicious pair up so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always buy wild Alaska salmon, they are the best.
    Your roasted salmon looks very tempting healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was lucky enough to be in Alaska last May. Fresh salmon? You betcha! I no longer buy the farm-raised, but love the wild (although I prefer to buy fresh, I think the quality of most frozen is quite high, and will happily use that). Really nice combo of flavors here - looks great, and this dish is fit for a king. King Salmon, that is! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love salmon and this recipe sounds so good. I always try to buy the wild salmon, because it better for you than the farm raised salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dish looks superb my friend, salmon can look so boring! I love the sides to it :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salmon is my all times favourite fish. Looks delicious and such a healthy way of cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love salmon, it is my favorite fish.. I only know few ways to prepare it, but I could eat it every day.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When in season, we enjoy salmon from nearby Monterey Bay. I follow the guidelines of The Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program for sustainable seafood choices and find farmed salmon to be tasteless and mushy. I agree that there is nothing better than fresh salmon! I missed this recipe and will try it soon, it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking for new simple ways to cook salmon and this looks like a right one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would be perfect cooked in a sous vide machine Lisa. Looks great. Nice mix of colours and I bet the flavours would be incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Copper River salmon is very special so whenever I see it at the market I make sure to get my allocation. The dish above is so perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what you've presented is pretty much the ideal summertime dish. so fresh, so festive, so full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been ogling that dish on the cover of BA for a month now! Still haven't made it yet, but it's happening. Especially after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Slow roasting is one of my favorite ways to prepare salmon, although we end up grilling it more often, just because it's faster and we are too impatient ;-)

    but the buttery texture that slow roasting gives is unbeatable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, I love salmon! I don't make it nearly enough. This is gorgeous, perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need the family to go out of town and then I can make this meal for me and me alone! LOVE it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. youve got a beautiful blog here, fantastic pictures! I've nominated you for the versatile blogger awards, as your blog continues to impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of fish! I never liked salmon until I tried wild salmon. The farm raised stuff always had an off taste to me although some people say they think it's milder in flavor. Looks like a wonderful preparation, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh Lisa, I'm even drooling at how you use the leftover salmon in the panini! A fantastic post and the colour of those tomatoes are beautiful. A great taste of Summer.Is farro like barley? I've never tried it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline: Barley would be a great substitute if you can't find farro. It has a similar texture.

      Delete
  23. What a gorgeous piece of salmon - it looks like something you'd get at a restaurant! And now I'm craving salmon :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks amazing! Love the colors and the flavor combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great to hear about your cooking website Lisa, I look forward to more delicious and healthy wild salmon recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips