Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Very Green Avocado-Tahini Dip

This week is all about red, white, and blue for the Fourth of July, but why not add some green? A few days ago, I mentioned how much I’m enjoying the new book Wild About Greens, and this is another recipe from its pages. Here, the greens are arugula leaves which bring even more green color to a dip made with avocado. And, this very green dip just happens to be great for a summer party. I didn’t set a timer when I served it, but I can tell you that from the moment the bowl of dip appeared until the second I noticed that bowl was completely empty, very few minutes elapsed. It had to have been a record. The dip is sort of a cross between guacamole and hummus given the avocado and tahini, but mostly it’s a fantastic match for raw vegetables or chips.

You could use spinach or arugula here, and since I had some CSA arugula, that’s what I used. The rinsed arugula leaves were quickly wilted in a hot saute pan and then set aside. Into the food processor went a peeled and diced avocado, some tahini, the juice of a lemon, ground cumin, some cilantro, and salt and pepper followed by the cooled arugula. The mix was processed until smooth, and the dip was ready. I served it with sliced cucumber and celery to stick with the green theme and made some baked whole grain tortilla chips for dipping as well.

I knew this was going to be delicious, but I was shocked at how quickly it was consumed. The recipe below shows the quantities I used, but next time, I’ll definitely double it.

Very Green Avocado-Tahini Dip
Recipe reprinted with publisher’s permission from Wild About Greens

About 1 1⁄2 cups

A marriage of guacamole and hummus—and infused with a good amount of leafy greens—this rich dip makes its own unique statement. Serve it with tortilla chips, fresh pita, pita chips, raw veggies, or any combination that suits you.

3 to 4 ounces baby spinach or arugula, or a combination
1 large, ripe avocado, peeled and diced
1⁄3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
Juice of 1 lemon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, cilantro, or dill
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Rinse the greens and place them in a large skillet or saucepan. With just the water clinging to the leaves, cook the greens until just wilted down. Remove from the heat.

Place all the ingredients in the container of a food processor, and process until smooth. Add 1⁄4 cup water, as needed, to achieve a medium-thick consistency. Transfer to a serving bowl. Keep covered until ready to serve.

Serve at once as suggested above. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.

I am a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program.

26 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one fabulous dip! So tasty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so refreshing and perfect for summer parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious! I will have to try it today since I have the green and the avocados.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this dip and how fresh and tasty it is! Happy 4th of July!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dip looks fabulous..and how incredible healthy and beautiful. It would fit in really nicely in our effort to cut out sugar during the week! We keep looking for things to dip our cucumbers and celery sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find green color very nice for a change.. I don't think there would be many leftovers to store :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, this is a complete winner in my book, and Phil will go nuts for it too!

    ONce I get back on a cooking mode, I am making this!

    Happy 4th of July from a recently-naturalized American... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful looking dip. The colour is so vibrant. I love that last image of it all plated up. It must have brilliant flavours with all those herbs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby spinach and arugula is delicious combo with avocados! This looks like a bright and tasty dip. Perfect for summer gatherings. You have a delightful blog. Please do visit soon! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. i never would have thought to put tahini and avocado together - i absolutely need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A definitely interesting addition to the authentic tahini.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo.. I think I'm going to do this.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Give me this and that salmon and we're set!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very green and delicious dip :D
    Loving it!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  15. A cross between hummus and guacamole. It looks delicious. I would have to exercise a lot of self control here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i appreciate any use for tahini other than hummus, and the fact that avocados take center stage makes this even more fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful dip Lisa...like the flavor of tahini in this dip and the color is just so pretty.
    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely green, Lisa. :) One of my sons can't eat hummus and this would be perfect to serve to him. Will be trying it next weekend. Looks like you served it with toasted whole wheat pita. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this look fabulous - i love both avocado and tahini! i can imagine having trouble stopping myself with it like i do with guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks so good, and I definitely need to check out that book. I'm always looking for ways to use up my tahini. I can't seem to break out of a hummus rut!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you can use any green you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very green? Green is good green is good! and I am "green" with envy right now cos I like your dip and wish I could taste it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum yum yum! I made hommus this morning. I have always wanted to make my own tahini :).. have you made it before?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is one that I absolutely can't WAIT to try. I love dips that use avocado and I love tahini - great combo!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips