Monday, December 27, 2010

Barbara Lynch, What Are You Reading?

About a year ago, I brought home a copy of Stir: Mixing It Up in the Italian Tradition and have enjoyed cooking several meals from it since then. That book is by James Beard Award-winner Chef Barbara Lynch of Boston. Her early experience included working with some of Boston’s other great chefs such as Todd English, traveling in Italy, and being named one of Food and Wine’s Best New Chefs in America. Since 1998, Barbara has operated her own Boston restaurant, No. 9 Park, and two additional restaurants, B&G Oysters and The Butcher Shop, opened in 2003. A few years later, five more businesses were opened including a catering company, a bar dedicated to craft cocktails, and Stir which is a demonstration kitchen and cookbook store. Last spring, her latest fine dining restaurant, Menton, opened in the Fort Point neighborhood. Barbara leads all of these businesses as CEO of Barbara Lynch Gruppo, and her many recognitions include being named Best Chef by Boston Magazine and No. 9 Park being named one of the Top 50 Restaurants in America by Travel and Leisure. I was curious about what books such a busy and talented chef would find interesting, so I asked her what are you reading?

Barbara:

Eggs by Michel Roux
I adore eggs, and there is so much technique involved in perfectly cooking this everyday ingredient. In the hands of the French, eggs may be transformed into incredible dishes…from airy souffles to luscious aiolis. This book from the brilliant Chef Roux is really a must-have for any cookbook collection—it combines lessons on technique with both basic and “fancy” recipes and is a great reference for egg cookery.



Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
One of the perks of owning my own cookbook store (Stir) is getting advanced releases on some of the much anticipated books throughout the year! One of these is Blood, Bones and Butter. I love Gabrielle Hamilton, and her restaurant Prune is one of my favorites in NYC. I started reading her book and couldn’t put it down—in fact, I’ve reread it twice. Gabrielle’s writing is honest and gutsy, and it is a terrific read! This book comes out in March, and I can’t wait for others to read it.





Thank you for participating, Barbara. Check back to see who answers the question next time and what other books are recommended.

Previous WAYR posts:
Jaden Hair
Michael Ruhlman
Monica Bhide
Michael Natkin
Sara Roahen
Andrea Nguyen
David Lebovitz
Rick Bayless
Tara Austen Weaver
Mollie Katzen
Deborah Madison
Soup Peddler
Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan
Robb Walsh
Kim Severson
David Leite
Dan Lepard
Carolyn Jung
Joan Nathan
Melissa Clark
Dianne Jacob
Zoƫ Francois
Yotam Ottolenghi
Lucinda Scala Quinn


10 comments:

  1. I love that book, Eggs, though I don't own it. I've been tempted to buy it on more than one occasion.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for "Blood, Bones and Butter" to come out! Just got "Stir" from Santa this year and have already covered it in sticky notes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both books sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could not resist, had to pre-order Blood, Bones and Butter after reading the editorial comments and the recommendations by Mario Batali and Antony Bourdain - they also fell in love with the book....

    Thank you, Barbara & Lisa!

    Have a wonderful New Year.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know Gabrielle Hamilton was writing a book. I've loved the articles she's done for the New York Times. This is one chef who can really write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series! Each of these fascinating people have such great suggestions for food book lovers like me! Thanks and wishing you a very Happy Holiday season! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time I'm in Boston, I'm going to have to check out her restaurant! I really want to check out that book on eggs. I wonder if my local library has it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow.., I'm going to get a copy of Bood, Bones & Butter - that sounds intriguing Lisa. I'm off to read some of your other stars reading lists, excellent sharing my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blood, bones and butter sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips