Monday, August 30, 2010

Israeli Couscous with Saffron, Olives, and Summer Vegetables

The problem with ignoring my ever-growing stack of new recipes to try is that eventually some of those recipes fall out of season. I can either wait until next year, or I can convert the dish into whatever works right now. This couscous dish is from the April issue of Vegetarian Times, and it was originally called Israeli couscous with saffron, olives, and spring vegetables. A simple swapping of eggplant and zucchini for the suggested peas and fennel made it all about late summer. The great flavor in the dish comes from finely chopped leek, wine, and saffron. This was a rare occasion in which I found myself with pasta and no cheese in sight, but I realized that’s perfectly fine when saffron is involved. The kalamata olives and fresh basil garnish gave it an added boost that also kept me from missing any cheese. Although I definitely didn’t serve the leftovers in stacks formed by a ring mold, I copied that presentation from the magazine photo for our first meal with this dish.

Once all the vegetables are chopped, this dish comes together very easily. While chopping, the water can be coming to a boil for the couscous. Leek, eggplant, zucchini, and garlic were sauteed in a large skillet as the couscous boiled. White wine was added followed by the cooked and drained couscous, diced fresh tomatoes, and saffron. Last, arugula leaves were added, seasoning was adjusted, and it was covered and left to sit for a few minutes. I formed stacks, but it could have been served in bowls, and it was topped with halved olives, basil chiffonade, and a drizzle of olive oil.

The saffron perfumed the dish well, and the fresh, seasonal vegetables were at their best. The chewy couscous was just a tad smaller than the diced pieces of vegetables, and the wilted arugula wound its way throughout the pasta. The olives were a great touch on top, and you should use your favorite kind here, and that goes for the olive oil that’s drizzled at the end too. Simple but fresh and flavorful, this is a dish I’ll keep modifying from one season to the next.



26 comments:

  1. this happens to me all the time, and I think substituting is the smart thing to do...after all recips are just suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So elegant and feel so light and refreshing just by looking at this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That look pretty elegant Lisa, sounds light and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is stunning, love the presentation of this. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning presentation. This would be great for a dinner party. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these little timbales.
    Special and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I love Israeli couscous, the texture is so yummie, and you sure made a nice dish with t...love the way you presented...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such an eye for presentation. Look at that little bundle of color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely presentation! I really have to find Israeli couscous.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Israeli couscous! It reminds me a bit of tapioca but bigger and more pasta like! Your tian is perfect too! I always worry that they will fall apart but your sides are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet this tasted divine. I love saffron and the smoky exotic flavour it gives off. Beautiful presentation.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be honest, I like eggplant and zucchini better than peas and fennel so I'm kind of glad you procrastinated making this! I love the presentation...very cute. Sounds like a very tasty dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, peas and fennel, eggplant and cucurbits -- it all sounds good to me. And with that jaw-dropping presentation, how can you go wrong? Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a terrific combination of ingredients here and the presentation is stunningly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are never enough hours in the day to make all the dishes on our bucket list. Thanks for sharing one on your "must make" list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that looks like something from a fancy restaurant, yet a pinch to make. I love how versatile it is!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! This looks fantastic! YUM!

    Love your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's pretty odd how much i prefer israeli couscous to the other, smaller stuff. i love this fancy little dish, lisa--your presentation impresses most of all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this recipe and just submitted it to Stumble. Great presentation! Kalamata olives add so much flavor. I like either those or cheese.....capers are a favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The salad sounds so delicious with saffron and all the veggies...and it's beautifully presented!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My gosh, I am so behind in reading your blog... great to find this beautiful recipe for Israeli couscous, one of my favorite types, which I definitely do not cook enough

    gorgeous presentation....

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an absolutely delicious sounding salad. I love the flavors and textures that are on display here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a flavorful pretty looking summer dish. I love the texture of Israeli Couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks beautiful and must taste delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips